Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jagostinhoCT
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

schedule refresh lost credentials

Hello,

Why is it that from time to time the Schedule Refresh setup losses some of the credentials? In spite no changes have occurred to them?PBI_Refresh Failed_Lost Credentials.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jagostinhoCT

From my experience this is if you save your Power BI Desktop into the Power BI Service, it will overwrite the current credentials. Which will mean that you will need to edit the credentials again.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jagostinhoCT@SRLyman Can you change it to use OAuth2 and enter the credetial for the dataset again? Please check if schedule refresh is successfull after you set the credential.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
skocheta
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello I am facing the same issue and have a complex report with lots of data source. Setting up credentials everytime I publish is not very intuitive and productive.

Is there a workaround or solution to this so that I don't have to Enter credentials to all sources again after each publish !

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jagostinhoCT@SRLyman Can you change it to use OAuth2 and enter the credetial for the dataset again? Please check if schedule refresh is successfull after you set the credential.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-qiuyu-msft

It works after I enter the credentials again, yes.

my question is why does it looses the credentials in the first place?

Kind regards,

J

In my case, I converted an Excel PowerPivot table to Power BI  which caused our system to create more than one oData feed request in our environment. This ran afoul of our third-party authentication software. My solution was to re-build my tables using the Get Data function.  Those reports only had one authetication and retained the credentials. 

Hi @jagostinhoCT,

Please go to the Refresh History and find the record about that failed schedule refresh. Click the Show button to get detail error message, copy all this details and paste here. I will try to send your information internally to analyze the reason.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

thanks @v-qiuyu-msft

No issues currently, but will come back with the error message if it happens again.

Thank you for your help.

J

Hi @jagostinhoCT,

As the issue is gone now, would you please mark a helpful reply as answer, so we can close this thread? If the issue happens next time, you can create a new thread.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jagostinhoCT

From my experience this is if you save your Power BI Desktop into the Power BI Service, it will overwrite the current credentials. Which will mean that you will need to edit the credentials again.

Power BI Blog

whenever I publish the report to the PBI Service, you mean?

Still experiencing this problem where PBIRS scheduled refresh loses credentials when the report is edited and saved back to the server. With dozens of data sources this is a PITA, because the credentials for all of them have to be manually re-entered (or copy/pasted) into the PBIRS data sources settings (on the server) to re-enable scheduled refresh. Using the March 2018 versions. When will this be fixed?

Hi there,

I would suggest updating both power bi desktop and gateway to the June 2018 version. There has been improvements and bug fixes in the past 3 months

Power BI Blog

Thanks for that Gilbert. Please note however that I am using PBI Report Server March 2018 (this is the latest release for PBIRS).

Sorry about that.

I think that it is possibly a bug. And I would log a support ticket

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ, that is interesting.

You mean, whenever I publish the PBI Desktop to the PBIService the credentials need updating?

I could understand (sort of) why would it trigger such behaviour.

But in my case, the credentials got lost without me publishing it.

SRLyman
Frequent Visitor

I have been encountering the same issue. No matter how many times I set OAuth2, PowerBI automatically choses Anonymous. As a result, every automatic refresh fails. It would be nice if it could retain my account information. Is there a way to address this?

Authorization.png

Yes. That is what is happening to me too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors