Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IHam
Helper III
Helper III

schedule flow for power bi refresh and dynamic email

Hi all, I am very new to instigating flows from power bi so hopefully I can make this understandable and solvable! 

At the moment I have created a flow within power bi desktop that manually triggers (I believe this is the only option available within power bi). This refreshes a datset to create a list, I then use the dynamic content within power bi automate to email staff on the refreshed list.

I would like to automate this so it does all of this (refresh and then dynamic email) at a certain time rather than having to do it from within power bi.

When I go to the power automate website, I can create a scheduled flow that can refresh the dataset (I can find the dataset from within my workspace) at the right time but then when I try to add the email part of the flow, I cannot find the dynamic content to create the email. 

Any ideas how (and if) I can do this? 

many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
IHam
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks - will see if I can follow that. When you say power automate, are you talking about the website or the power bi power automate add-in?

Website, API refresh and checking for refresh status by making a call to PowerBI API from Power Automate(called Flow earlier)

IHam
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for this. Any idea as to how I can do this?

My bad, default option is not there in Power Automate to cehck for dataset refresh, it can cehck for DataFlow refresh though.

But you can check for dataset refresh via api call and you can control the refreshes via api too, here is link to implement it:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/refresh-dataset

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/get-refresh-history

nitishsh91
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @IHam  

In Power Automate you can check whether your dataset has got refreshed or not and then you can trigger the email, it can run between certain time interval to check for dataset refresh.

Thanks for this - just checking that I can create a dynamic list to email from when I do it like this. When the dataset refreshes it produces a different list of colleagues' emails which will be the list that need to be emailed. You can do this within power bi but as in the initial post I couldn't make it work within the power automate website.

Many thanks, I appreciate your efforts so far!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors