Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

erjunqiu
Frequent Visitor

save a copy - No linked dataset show in target workspace

I have two workspaces A and B.

A includes a report and the associated dataset. I am trying to use 'save a copy' to copy the report from A to B, but end up with no linked dataset show in B, only the copied report.

I believe in the previous when we use 'save a copy', the linked dataset will show up. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-copy-reports

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 5.32.34 PM.png

I am wondering if power bi currently takes this functionality off or I ignore something else like configuration to let the linked dataset show up.

Can anyone share your ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @erjunqiu 

This used to be the case before shared datasets.

Now with shared datasets it can reference another dataset. That is why you have the report but not the associated dataset.

If you want the dataset, you will have to download the PBIX file, rename it and then upload it to your new app workspace.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi @erjunqiu 

The official document you mentioned isn't updated. Now it will not display the dataset of a copied report in the target workspace. You can click View lineage to see the dataset that a report is using and in which workspace the dataset is located. Hope this helps.

040201.jpg

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @erjunqiu 

Here is the docco from Apr 2020: Intro to datasets across workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @erjunqiu 

This used to be the case before shared datasets.

Now with shared datasets it can reference another dataset. That is why you have the report but not the associated dataset.

If you want the dataset, you will have to download the PBIX file, rename it and then upload it to your new app workspace.

Power BI Blog

Thank you! I am wondering if there are any docs announce or describe the latest update for the "removing the linked dataset" thing.

Because as the link I mentioned in the topics, the official docs didn't have any update in this stuff.

Hi @erjunqiu 

The official document you mentioned isn't updated. Now it will not display the dataset of a copied report in the target workspace. You can click View lineage to see the dataset that a report is using and in which workspace the dataset is located. Hope this helps.

040201.jpg

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as solution to help other members find it.

I show the reports I have copied to be linked to the original dataset however, people cannot access the copied report. Why is that?

Hi @NicholeM 

It is because the people also need access to the underlying dataset via manage permissions and they should have the build permission as far as I am aware!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors