Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bujjis1212

row level security

Dear Team,

One month back i have implementated role based security in Power BI free version which connects to online dynamics crm version 

.Its worked fine .

But today unforunately its giving an error that "This dashboard contains Power BI Pro content. Only users that have Power BI Pro will have access to it"

Please confirm is RLS feature no longer available in Power BI free version and has moved to Power BI Pro version ?

Thanks alot for your quick reply.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@spaxia@bujjis1212@Bhartman30@SteHext, got the confirmation from PG team that Row Level Security is no longer a feature available for free users. Only pro users now have access to this feature and I haven’t heard anything about a plan to bring it back to free users as of yet.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@bujjis1212@spaxia@Bhartman30,

I am able to reproduce this issue as follows. I will report this issue internally and post back once I get any update.
2222.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI

I have the same issue to, connected to SQL Azure DB (Load). It was working with the new desktop setup last week, but since this week end an getting a pro licence required on dahsboards.

It will be disapointing if this is now a pro feature.  Any offical word would be great?

Regards Ste

Hi,

@v-yuezhe-msft and @Eric_Zhang any news on this?

We are still waiting and nobody is telling us what happens.

This is kind of frustrating when the support tells you we don't know.

TIA

--silvano

I've received word that it is indeed now a Pro feature.

Is anyone of aware of any alternative solutions?

No solution unfortuntely...Smiley Sad

Hi,

@Lydia and @Eric_Zhang any news on this?

We may need an official info from MS.

TIA

--silvano

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@spaxia@bujjis1212@Bhartman30@SteHext, got the confirmation from PG team that Row Level Security is no longer a feature available for free users. Only pro users now have access to this feature and I haven’t heard anything about a plan to bring it back to free users as of yet.

Hi @spaxia,

We have reported this issue internally. It will take some time to get Power BI team's response . Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bujjis1212,

As per my knowledge, RLS is still in preview status which doesn't require license.

In addition, where do you get this error? Could you please share a screenshot? Also we need to know that how you connect to Dynamic CRM, are you using Dynamic CRM content pack or connecting Dynamic CRM some other way?

Based on my test, if your content (dashboard, report or dataset) contain any Power BI Pro features, you will get the warning that ”This dashboard contains Power BI Pro content. Only users that have Power BI Pro will have access to it” in some scenarios. Users with a free Power BI User Subscription License will not be able to consume content which leverages paid features including:

• Content which is scheduled to be refreshed more frequently than daily
• Content which is streamed at a rate in excess of 10k rows/hours
• Content which receives data via live interactive connectivity to a data source like SQL Server Analysis Services
• Content which receives data via a Data Connectivity Gateway
• Content which belongs to an Office 365 Group
• Content from organizational content packages which their organization has published for consumption

Please check your content according to the above list.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Dear Lydia,

my content is from Azure SQL and is scheduled once a day. No data connettivity gateway.

Power_BI_PRO_RLS.png

Translating from Italian You need Power BI Pro for Row Level Security.

dashboard.png

That's really weird. In our company we have Office 365 and the users are stuck.

--silvano

Lydia -

I am experiencing a similar issue. I am connecting to a datasource within my own O365 work account, and tested out just adding RLS, which is able to do in Power BI desktop. When I upload it to the Power BI service, it says I require a Pro license to access this report. 

Does this help?

Bhartman30
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am experiencing the same issue. Made the change to update RLS to the desktop, and then without warning, it apparently has switched to a Pro feature. I don't have a pro license but still am able to build in RLS.

Looking for direction from Microsoft on this...

spaxia
Helper I
Helper I

I have the same problem, i created RLS using Power BI DEsktop following the latest tecnique, but now I'm pretty sure is asking to try the Pro.

So no more RLS for Free edition, can someone confirm this?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@bujjis1212 RLS is still in preview. It has gone through recent change from power bi service to desktop. Therefore if you have RLS setup via service you have to recreate it via power bi desktop. Check out this article on how to set it up via power bi desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors