Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bonny666
Helper I
Helper I

result based on TODAY() is not being updated

In my source excel there's the following formula: 

=IF(Till="","",
IF(DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"y"), DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"y")&"y ","")&
IF(DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"ym"), DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"ym")&"m ","")&
IF(DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"md"), DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"md") &"d ",""))

TodayDate = Today()

The result of this formula is in my POWER BI report. It just a formula that shows how many days/months/years have passed between something in the cell next to it and today.

The problem is that when I run the report in PowerBI, it will not update the TODAY() it seems, so the result is showing wrong. if I will open the excel, it will recalculate it then and then I save  the excel and then refresh the report in PowerBI then it will be ok, but of course I don't want to do it every time I need to use this report..

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

From reading your description, you appear to have used Today() as part of a calculated column.  Calculated columns are only updated at the time of refresh, not during the usage of a report.

If you want a dynamically changing result, you would need to do this inside a Measure, or set your dataset to refresh once a day.

No, i don't use a calculated column.. how can I use a calculated column in PowerBI service?

I couldn't find the option..

Any reply on this?

TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @bonny666 ,

According to your description, my understanding is that you are publishing the report to PowerBI Service, but the TODAY() function has not been refreshed on PowerBI Service, I would suggest you set the TODAY() data in the dataset, then it will be refreshed.

Best Regards,

Teige

I couldn't find the option.. I don't see any way to do any calculation in Power BI service

Yes, you identified the problem correctly 🙂

Can you please explain how to do it in the dataset? I don't see how to do it in PowerBI Service

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors