Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

merryseeker
Frequent Visitor

report sharing issues after moving pbix to another email account

Using power bi desktop and a trial subscription with a company email address, I was able to publish and successfully share the report with other email addresses that were on a trial subscription as well. In this case all of the email addresses were on our company domain. Since the trial on my company email address was to end soon, we subscribed for the service. Rather than use the same company email address, we subscribed using an account tied to one of our existing office 365 pro accounts. This means the email address associated with it is now at a different domain (.onmicrosoft.com). I moved the shared pbix file to the new account, published it to the power bi service and shared it with the same trial users as before. Upon initially sharing, the users see the report when they log in; however, after some period of time the report disappears from their login. I have tried several things to remedy this situation to no avail. It was so simple initially. Why should moving the pbix to be associated with a new email account break the sharing functionality? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi merryseeker,

Reading through these postings, I am guessing that initially when you were on the trial version of O365, all the users you were sharing with were on the same O365 tenant, meaning they were on the same instance of O365 or appeared to be inthe same organization or company.  Now it sounds like you are on one tenant and they are on another - your email is something like merryseeker@myO365.com and the users experiencing the issues are not part the same tenant (myO365.com in my example), maybe their email is something like joe_outside@someotherO365.com.  If you share a report with someone in your domain, it will appear in their "Shared with me" items, but if they are in a seperate tenant (outside the organization), then they will not see the report in their "Shared with me" section or anywhere else in their Power BI instance.  The only way an outside user will be able to access the report, is by clicking the link sent to them in the email, and it will open in a seperate instance of Power BI.  This is very confusing and annoying.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @merryseeker,

>>Why should moving the pbix to be associated with a new email account break the sharing functionality? 

After you publish pbix with new domain account, you need to config new gateway /datasource for handling refresh operation.(original gateway not works for new account)

BTW, you can sign out original account and switch to new account to allow gateway to manage refresh operation of new account.

reference link:

Getting started with Power BI gateways

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

The gateway was updated and refreshed prior to sharing.  It works and refreshes as expected using the new email. This does not resolve the sharing issue.

HI @merryseeker,

What type of datasource you used? Connection mode?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

The datasource is an access database and I have a personal gateway setup for refresh. That part works fine and it refreshes daily as expected. The part that does not work is sharing the report. I can share with another account and if they click through on their email invite, they can see the report; however, if they login again later using the same account, there is nothing in their shared with me workspace. The report disappears. I have tried several different email accounts for sharing and the behavior is the same on all of them. I have cleared browsing data, rebooted computer between signins to be sure that something in the browser cache isn't causing confusion.

I am hesitant to buy paid accounts for other employees (other than the main one that I am trying to share) if I cannot resolve this issue.

Thanks for your help.

Hi merryseeker,

Reading through these postings, I am guessing that initially when you were on the trial version of O365, all the users you were sharing with were on the same O365 tenant, meaning they were on the same instance of O365 or appeared to be inthe same organization or company.  Now it sounds like you are on one tenant and they are on another - your email is something like merryseeker@myO365.com and the users experiencing the issues are not part the same tenant (myO365.com in my example), maybe their email is something like joe_outside@someotherO365.com.  If you share a report with someone in your domain, it will appear in their "Shared with me" items, but if they are in a seperate tenant (outside the organization), then they will not see the report in their "Shared with me" section or anywhere else in their Power BI instance.  The only way an outside user will be able to access the report, is by clicking the link sent to them in the email, and it will open in a seperate instance of Power BI.  This is very confusing and annoying.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this helps!  I wondered about this possibility since it worked fine when we all had trial subscriptions. I kept reading that sharing with outside accounts was possible so didn't expect that anything would change.  And you are correct - this is both confusing and annoying. Thanks for clearing this up for me. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors