Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HassanAli123
Helper I
Helper I

report refresh by end user manually

Dear Experts,
                       I punlished a report to services and end user wants to refresh the report manually. is there any need for him to install on-premise gateway to refresh the reports or need to have datasource credentials.
second if the creator of report grant the access to end user as a contributor in the work space in which report is published. after this, is there any need for gateway to install in end user systems.
we are using pro license.
Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi !
1) Yes. Users won't need a gateway. The gateway is something IT team can configure once. Then it requires to add sources in Service once for each report/dataset with new sources.

2) The gateway must be installed on any machine with network connectivity to the data source. If you have a machine that can connect to the DB in the same network, you can install the standard gateway there. It's not a requirement to install it in the same machine of the database.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. They don't need a gateway. Once the developer publish the report, the next step would be configure its refresh. If the source is cloud, it's a matter of editing data source credentials. If the source is on premise, a gateway is required in a regular or virtual machine always on and adding the sources in Services.

After the configuration for the refresh is done by the developer or the IT team, anyone with permission in the workspace can just click on "refresh now" and trigger a refresh for the dataset.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

1)
our data source is on-premise. so you want to say that end user do not need to install the gateway to refresh the data if he have the access of work space as a contributor/admin. am i right?
2)
is gateway required on the server only where our data is placed or it should install on every end user system who wants to refresh the data.

Hi !
1) Yes. Users won't need a gateway. The gateway is something IT team can configure once. Then it requires to add sources in Service once for each report/dataset with new sources.

2) The gateway must be installed on any machine with network connectivity to the data source. If you have a machine that can connect to the DB in the same network, you can install the standard gateway there. It's not a requirement to install it in the same machine of the database.

I hope that make sense

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors