Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

report output as attachment

I think I know the answer to this one, my users are used to getting report outputs as excel attached in their emails?

Is there a way in power bi where report output can be attached in emails as excel or pdf ? If not, can I contact the product team to have this feature added pleaese ?

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

This can be done using the Power BI REST API

Here are more details: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/export-report-to-pdf-pptx-and-png-files-using-power-bi-rest...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

If you don't want to add any code, you can send the report as a pdf with a link to your user by "Subscribe to emails" in power bi service, but unfortunately, there is no excel version supperted there

Anonymous
Not applicable

they want excel as an output, so i guess its visual studio ssdt 2017 or power bi report server ? and then export to file api ?

You mentioned you had the "power bi premium" workspace, right? Power BI report server is available in Power BI Premium license, so you can have paginated reports easily, good luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. I have never used an API in power bi, does it require c# knowldege, can anyone please share with me an example of export to file api and how to use it ?

2. Is it true my workspace has to be premium to be able to use export to File api ? 

Hi there

Chris Webb actually just created an awesome blog post on how to do this

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2020/04/25/calling-the-power-bi-export-api-from-power-automate-part-1-c...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I have below url, that gives code about how to export to file

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/export-to#code-examples

Question is, how to use the c# code inside power bi ? i was hoping someone can point me towards how to use power bi api in power bi ? 

Also, I read that to export into excel, it has to be a paginated report, and to build a paginated report, power bi report builder is the only option. Question: is power bi report builder free ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, looks like i have to build a paginated report (as its the only way I can export into excel using api), I have a power bi premium workspace, do I need license for power bi report server ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

or can i use SSDT 2017 (Visual studio) 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors