Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

report download taking too long

I have reports sizing 200MB, when I try download from service, it takes 1-2 hours to download, is it normal?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is happening to me too. I opened another topic: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Download-a-pbix-copy-started-being-extremely-slow/m-p/35729...

I am following the download progress in the network tab of developer tools and the speed is about 0.1MB/s. Our file is also ~200MB.

It is not on our side as I've tried downloading from multiple different internet connections and got the same results. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

any update on the download report issue?

I am sitting here for an hour to download this report that promises to be done in "few minutes"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have opened a ticket with Power BI support, and this is their response:

We have checked with our product team on your issue and confirmed as below

Usually the service would take more time when you download the report. But as our issue it is taking more than expected.

Product team is confirmed that it is expected behavior when downloading PBIX file from service.

When downloading the PBIX, the Power BI service has to rebuild the PBIX from scratch again in such a way as not to use too much resource (so not impact other processes).

This is why you don’t get the ‘save as’ dialog until the end as this only prompts when the file is built and ready for download.

All in all, this does take a lot of time and the larger PBIX you have the more painful the experience. 

Feedback has previously been sent to the Product Team about this and they do intend to look into the process and how it can be improved, however it’s not going to imminently change. There is no ETA from Product team.

It seems like we have to wait for unknown time to get this fixed...

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it is not normal.

please check your internet connection and bandwidth.

Regards,

Shubham

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my speedtest, can firewall /proxys block my download? 

speedtest.png

Hi @Anonymous,

The report's slow download speed may be unrelated with Power BI tool, I think it's still slow when you download other things. You'd better contact your IT to check if there is any limits for your internet.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have checked with infrastrucure team and the server is not generating traffic, I believe in something on server side (app.powerbi.com), I'm trying to downloand a simples file with 11 millions rows without any metric or calculated column, it still waiting (1 hour +)...

the "exporting" message...

exportingMessage.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since it is a preview feature, so dont expect 100% results.
heavy files with huge data sometimes break while downloading,

Thanks,

shubh

Anonymous
Not applicable

2018-01-23, are you saying 200mb file is a heavy file? with 10 million lines? really?

Hi @Anonymous,

You can create a support ticket on the right-bottom of this page to get dedicated support. And if you notice the comment under this article: Export a report from Power BI service to Desktop (Preview).

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors