Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

refresh not working for SQL Server + SharePoint Online blend

I have a report that blends together data from SQL Server and SharePoint (Online).  The privacy level of both is 'Organization'.  The SQL Server source uses a 'Windows' credential.  The SharePoint source uses an 'Oranizational account' credential.  When I attempt to refresh the report in the service, it fails, and I don't understand why (or how to resolve).

I have an on-premises gateway installed on a server.  When I access the report's dataset's settings, under 'Gateway connection', the gateway says 'Not configured correctly' (under Status).  When I expand the arrow icon under Actions for View Datasources, I can see both data sources in this dataset.  My SQL Server source has a green arrow next to it, but its 'Maps to' field is empty.  Even though I can select the corresponding data source, it doesn' stay (when I leave the page).  My SharePoint source has a red x next to it, and a message that reads 'Add to gateway'.  There is a yellow warning icon under this that says 'You have no personal gateways installed'.  Everything on my gateway looks good, and connections are successful.  For reference, I have the following unchecked: 'Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster...'.

How do I resolve this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe your issue is the very last thing in your post.

"For reference, I have the following unchecked: 'Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster...'."

You need to turn this on so your gateway will let your cloud services refresh.  You don't need to do any configuration, as it will simply pass through.  You'll see it come up with an "Optional".

Once you configure that correctly, you'll be able to select your other source from the dropdown and click apply.  It should then save that change.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

For power bi reports who use the mixed Datasource(both online and on-premise), I'd like to suggest you turn on 'use gateway to handle cloudy data source' option to allow the gateway to manage whole datasets.
Notice: mixed dataset contains two types of datasources, if you only configure one datasource on your gateway, it not able to refresh due to configured data source not match with your report used.

Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources 

If turn on that option does not helps, please share more detailed information to help us clarify your scenario.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe your issue is the very last thing in your post.

"For reference, I have the following unchecked: 'Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster...'."

You need to turn this on so your gateway will let your cloud services refresh.  You don't need to do any configuration, as it will simply pass through.  You'll see it come up with an "Optional".

Once you configure that correctly, you'll be able to select your other source from the dropdown and click apply.  It should then save that change.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors