Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

n_b_
Regular Visitor

refresh failure

I am having all of my refreshes fail for a report,  but only after the the dashboard is published (Power BI desktop can refresh the data fine).

This is the error message that I am getting:

The following system error occurred: Type mismatch. Unable to convert a value to the data type requested for table 'v_COVID19_Daily_Report' column 'Washington County (New York)'. The data provider was unable to convert the value '<pii></pii>' from the source data type 'VT_BSTR' to the expected data type 'VT_I8'. Please check the column data types in the data model and data source and ensure that the data types are compatible.

I looked through my steps in Power Query and can not kind anything there. I updated my gateway to the newest version. That column has very little data in it (two fields have numbers and the rest are null).

I am completely at a dead end and would be very grateful for any advice.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
n_b_
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the responses!

I did find the problem.

All the help documents for this error message, as well as solutions that other people seem to have to this problem, all had to do with the point of contact between Power BI and the data on the server (the SQL server settings were wrong or in some kind of conflict with the data types in BI, the version of the Gateway software (or Power BI itself) was outdated, there was a piece of data in one of the fields on the server that was a mismatch with the column type that it was being imported into, or some transformation of a column at the moment of refresh (using Power Query) was causing an error of data type, etc...).

However in my case, the error turned out to be that when I was in the Data view in Power BI Desktop (not Power Query), in "Column Tools" I had changed a column from data type "Text" to "Whole Number."

This did not cause a problem for a while. But after I used that column in a visual it started causing a problem. It did not cause in a problem in Power BI desktop. It did not cause a problem when I refreshed the report using Power BI desktop. It did not cause a problem when I published the report... it only caused a problem when I tried to refresh the published report. And the error message suggested the problem was with the server or in Power Query... not in a column transformation in the Data view.

So, I post this here so that it may be of use to someone else trying to figure out why their report is not refreshing.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bhpant
Employee
Employee

, how do I point out which data set the error is referring to? In my case, I am getting very limited information.Last refresh failed: Thu Aug 19 2021 08:16:28 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.Hide details

Data source error:The '<pii>Healthy</pii>' column does not exist in the rowset

@Anand24

n_b_
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the responses!

I did find the problem.

All the help documents for this error message, as well as solutions that other people seem to have to this problem, all had to do with the point of contact between Power BI and the data on the server (the SQL server settings were wrong or in some kind of conflict with the data types in BI, the version of the Gateway software (or Power BI itself) was outdated, there was a piece of data in one of the fields on the server that was a mismatch with the column type that it was being imported into, or some transformation of a column at the moment of refresh (using Power Query) was causing an error of data type, etc...).

However in my case, the error turned out to be that when I was in the Data view in Power BI Desktop (not Power Query), in "Column Tools" I had changed a column from data type "Text" to "Whole Number."

This did not cause a problem for a while. But after I used that column in a visual it started causing a problem. It did not cause in a problem in Power BI desktop. It did not cause a problem when I refreshed the report using Power BI desktop. It did not cause a problem when I published the report... it only caused a problem when I tried to refresh the published report. And the error message suggested the problem was with the server or in Power Query... not in a column transformation in the Data view.

So, I post this here so that it may be of use to someone else trying to figure out why their report is not refreshing.

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @n_b_

Check the similar thread below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Type-mismatch-Unable-to-convert-a-value-to-the-data-type/td...

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @n_b_ ,

Clearly from the error, there is a data type mismatch from your source data and that is why refresh fails in services. You will need to check your source data once.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors