Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

recycle dashboard pbix but use the existing data set uploaded in the web service

Hi community!

I have a huge dashboard and I want to re-use becasue many things in it work for my project. What I really want to avoid is to genereate another same data set in the service but now with the new name of my pbix file.

Is there a way to upload new dashboards with new names conected to the same dataset? (without starting to build a dasboard from 0)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your step2, it seems that you reuse the dataset with connecting power bi dataset in Power BI Desktop.

Let me describe my steps, you could have a reference. Please note that if you want to edit the report, you should have the edit permission for the report.

1. Create a report in Power BI Desktop and then publish it to Power BI Service.

2. Cliek Edit Report, then you could create the visuals based on the original report in Power BI Service.

edit report.png

3. After editing the report, you could save it or save as.

save as.PNG

However, you cannot create calculated columns or measures in Power BI Service.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have a little confused about your requirement.

The dashboard you mentioned is the dashboard in Power BI Service or the report?

If you means dashboard, you could duplicate the dashboard.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-piga-msft !, you were right...it was report. sorry I couldnt explain my self better...let me try again with a pic.

quest 1.JPG

Hi @Anonymous ,

By my tests, if you edit the original report and save as a new report with a new name, it still connects to the same dataset with the original report.

Untitled.png

Did I misunderstand your scenario?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Anonymous
Not applicable

it is what I want I guess!... I dont know if I can do it though. Let me explain step by step.

1-. I have a pbix uploaded to the service (1 report)

2-. I need a second report with the same dataset (What I know so far I can create a pbix and add the same dataset using "add power BI DATASET" with PB Desktop ) in that escenario is possible to do it with a new pbix but you can NOT save the previous visual objects in the canvas, losing formulas as well... and I need to recicle almost everything of the original pbix.

3-. in this case is a huge pbix (original report)...thats why is important for me to find a solution that allows me to re-use the report and not only the dataset.

start building that report from 0 is too much work 😞

(I have to say that Im not so good at explaining things 😄

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your step2, it seems that you reuse the dataset with connecting power bi dataset in Power BI Desktop.

Let me describe my steps, you could have a reference. Please note that if you want to edit the report, you should have the edit permission for the report.

1. Create a report in Power BI Desktop and then publish it to Power BI Service.

2. Cliek Edit Report, then you could create the visuals based on the original report in Power BI Service.

edit report.png

3. After editing the report, you could save it or save as.

save as.PNG

However, you cannot create calculated columns or measures in Power BI Service.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @v-piga-msft 

Iget your idea... But if I download the PBIX in the case I need calculated column and re -published?

is it gonna create a new data set or keep using the old data set?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors