Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

james_bi2019
Frequent Visitor

"This report couldn't access the datasource" - SSAS Tabular Connection Issue

Hi!

I've created a SSAS Tabular model, of which I am Server Admin and have created a role which grants Read access and includes myself and some colleagues.

I've created a Power BI report which uses a Live Connection to the SSAS model.

I've published this and successfully set up a connection on the Gateway.

However, when myself or my colleagues access the report in the service, we get the above error and no visuals rendering.

Having read various other posts, I've recreated the Role and I've checked the UPN matches to our AD.

Any suggestions on what to try next would be great!

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Finally figured out a fix ourselves.

The SSAS Service needed to be ran as a domain account (DOMAIN\USER) ours was using a different service account (NT SERVICE\MSOLAP$...).

We also had to add the new SSAS Service domain account to the following AD group: Windows Authorization Access Group

We found that method by reading the following post:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dataaccesstechnologies/2017/05/30/error-while-impersonating-an-user...

After restarting the SSAS service, everything worked as expected.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jancarlos_Acuña
Regular Visitor

Good evening friend, Jancarlos from Peru greets you, a query the domain account that runs the SSAS service, it is the one that you configured in the Gateway, that same account has to be in the AD group of authorizations, right?

Hi Jancarlos

It might be something different to that. This was something my IT team sorted I'm not 100% sure of the process.

I believe the following link covers the process they followed.

http://t-sql.dk/?p=1136

Hope this helps.

James

@james_bi2019 Go to the server that hosts the gateway. Search for the gateway via windows and open up the log files for the specific error that is occuring. It should be in there.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer 

Here's the bit of the log I think it could be. Not sure what I can make from it. Where it suggests to replace the effective username, the from and the to were identical.

6A7A1A51 [DM.GatewayCore] AdoNetDBFullConnectiongString: Service Msolap progid is different with on-prem. Service:MSOLAP.5. On-Prem:MSOLAP.8.
733C5FDB [DM.GatewayCore] Db pool opening raw database connection to [MSOLAP.8: <pi>MSOLAP.8:provider=MSOLAP.5;data source=<Server>;initial catalog=<Catalog>;cube=<cube>;sspropinitappname=PowerBI;effectiveusername=<username>;connect timeout=60:[Windows] Encrypted Credential information omitted</pi>]
24AC60C7 [DM.Pipeline.Common] Either LookupPropertyName <username> or TargetPropertyName  is null or empty. Fall back to original value.
DA9D25D4 [DataMovement.PipeLine.GatewayDataAccess] Replace effective user name in adomd connection string from <username> to <username>.

Finally figured out a fix ourselves.

The SSAS Service needed to be ran as a domain account (DOMAIN\USER) ours was using a different service account (NT SERVICE\MSOLAP$...).

We also had to add the new SSAS Service domain account to the following AD group: Windows Authorization Access Group

We found that method by reading the following post:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dataaccesstechnologies/2017/05/30/error-while-impersonating-an-user...

After restarting the SSAS service, everything worked as expected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was the golden key to my SSAS on premise connection issue as well. i.e. run the SSAS service using the domain account under Windows serives instead of the default Local account.

Thank you! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors