Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EduSurveys
Advocate II
Advocate II

"Test as role" in new report that uses PowerBI dataset

I have a new report (Report B) in the Power BI cloud service that uses a Power BI dataset as its data model. I have row-level security (RLS) built into that dataset, and I can "Test as role" in the original report (Report A). However, I would like to be able to "Test as role" in this new report (Report B). Is there currently a way to do that?

In short:

1. Report A - original dataset, can use "Test as role" by going to security settings

2. Report B - built using PowerBI dataset from Report A, cannot "Test as role" in this report

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @EduSurveys  - you should be able to test 2 reports (1 built on the dataset and another built using the original dataset as a shared dataset)

Please refer to the below post for steps on doing the same: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-test-RLS-for-all-reports-that-share-a-single-dataset...

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @EduSurveys  - you should be able to test 2 reports (1 built on the dataset and another built using the original dataset as a shared dataset)

Please refer to the below post for steps on doing the same: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-test-RLS-for-all-reports-that-share-a-single-dataset...

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

@Sumanth_23 that is definitely not intuitive from a user perspective, but your solution does work! It would be nice if the blue banner had a toggle among the shared reports. Thanks for sharing this tip!

hi @EduSurveys - Yes, I agree not really intuitive but at this point this is a way to get around that I figured for testing RLS. 

Happy to help! 🙂 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The reason that this will not work is because the RLS is tied to the dataset and not to the report.

What I would say is you can test the RLS on Report A, if that works as expected. it will then work on Report B. (This is because Report B is using the dataset from Report A)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors