Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Adam_K
Regular Visitor

"Publish to web" security

Hi all,

I'm writing with a question about publish to web. I've uploaded a dashboard to the web; you can see it here. The aim is to inform people so it's good for the dashboard to be publically available, but the original dataset contained some confidential data that I don't want accessed in a raw form. So I have two questions:

1) Is there any way for a user to access the raw data from this online tool? I used to find that I could right click and get access to the raw data, but that option seems to have disappeared; not sure why. Ideally I would like users to be able to view the dashboard, but not access individual records.

2) The raw dataset included a number of columns with confidential information like age, name, address, etc. I deleted them using Power Bi desktop query editor, before uploading to the power bi service. Does this mean that they're not included as part of the dashboard? In other words, if the answer to question 1 is 'yes, you can access the raw data', would it be the full dataset, or only the columns that I haven't deleted?

Thanks a lot. I'm new to power bi (and benefitting from all the other information and resources available online here and elsewhere - so thanks for that) so apologies if this is a basic question.

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Adam_K,

#1. Nope, current you at most can access the underlying data of data model, it is impossible to direct access to the root data which from database.

Sample of data level:

Source data(database) -(data access function)-> Query Table(query editor level) -> Data model(calculate column/table level) -> Data view (visualization/measure level).

#2. If you remove columns in query editor, these columns weren't generated in data model. So, view record/data can't find these removed columns.

In my opinion, I'm not so recommend you to use publish to web feature to share sensitive data to web site. This feature not support any security setting, so it means you're try to share your data as 'public' information which everyone can be accessed.

For instead, power bi embed will be suitable for share sensitive data.

Reference links:

Power BI Embedded Documentation

Get started with Microsoft Power BI Embedded

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Adam_K
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

I've published a dashboard to the web; you can see it here. The purpose is to share widely so it's fine for the analysis to be online, but not the full raw dataset (which has confidential information). So I have two questions:

1) Is there any way to see the raw data? I previously found that right clicking would give the option to view raw data, but that seems to have disappeared; not sure why.

2) The original dataset had a load of additional columns with confidential information (like name, age, etc). I removed these with the query editor using Power BI desktop before publishing to the web, and they're not used in the dashboard. I wanted to confirm that all the columns I deleted are not uploaded, so even if someone was able to view the raw data they wouldn't be able to view the deleted columns.

Thanks a lot. I'm new to Power BI (and enjoying it a lot) so sorry if the above questions are basic

Adam

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Adam_K,

#1. Nope, current you at most can access the underlying data of data model, it is impossible to direct access to the root data which from database.

Sample of data level:

Source data(database) -(data access function)-> Query Table(query editor level) -> Data model(calculate column/table level) -> Data view (visualization/measure level).

#2. If you remove columns in query editor, these columns weren't generated in data model. So, view record/data can't find these removed columns.

In my opinion, I'm not so recommend you to use publish to web feature to share sensitive data to web site. This feature not support any security setting, so it means you're try to share your data as 'public' information which everyone can be accessed.

For instead, power bi embed will be suitable for share sensitive data.

Reference links:

Power BI Embedded Documentation

Get started with Microsoft Power BI Embedded

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors