Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

"New sharing experience" coming in April 2021 - security concerns

As a Power BI tenant administrator, I just received a "Message Center Major Change Update Notification" email about the upcoming "New sharing feature in Power BI." It had a link to Feature ID 72200 in the Microsoft 365 Roadmap, and some more details, including this screenshot.

The "new experience" looks familiar, like what we see in SharePoint and Teams. Great! Consistency.

However, in the above screenshot, under "Old Share Experience," Power BI has these two important, unique checkboxes for "allow re-share" and "build permissons." The email/documentation I've seen doesn't explain how these unique permissions will be handled with the "New Share Experience." Which is surprising and concerning, because we rely on restricting re-share and build permissions, for information security purposes.

Could somebody please explain it to us, here? With the "new experience," how could we control re-share and build permissions?

6 REPLIES 6
Jcarterdean
Frequent Visitor

The whole share option has always been a bug bear of mine and I wished at a workspace level you could change/disable some of those options.

this looks without anymore In-depth detail on the "anyone with link" yet "reshare" unticked works, to be completly at odds with enforcing security.

IMett
Helper III
Helper III

Hi there, 

I have read the announcement yesterday and sill have some important questions about this feature:

1.) I suppose, the regular way of granting access to workspaces / apps will stay untouched?

2.) The documentation differs between "granting direct access" and "sending a link" via the new experience. What is the difference between these two methods?

3.) In the past we have often experienced, that direct links to reports in workspaces or apps were internally changed after the report was updated via Power BI Desktop. Can we expect that links generated with the new feature will remain stable even after re-publishing the report?

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

If you please, could someone from Microsoft look into this, and reply? It would be nice to understand and prepare, before the thing is released.

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

We have received the same, not alot of detail how the current options translate over

I will likely disable this in our tenant until I understand it enough to explain to our users

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @kevhav 

I would be confident that the same permissions would still be there with the new sharing experience.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors