Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Error: DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: Execution Timeout Expired" When Refreshing Data Flow

Hi All,

I am attempting to refresh a data flow in Power BI Service but getting the below error:

Error: DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. Request ID: 62f50212-2ddb-3bfa-6a11-861a68020c5c Activity ID: 483c4322-fe07-4903-885f-64c7652f3c83

This error occurs on a large fact table. Is it possible to up this timeout period somewhere? Other forum posts I have seen have suggested how to do this in Desktop but not Service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I found this about Azure databases

"As you noticed, connecting to Azure SQL DB is a little different from connecting to a Microsoft SQL Server. Generally for Azure, you connect to individual databases, not an entire server - so there's really no concept of configuring server timeout settings"

I think this means that you cant do anything about the timeout on the SQL DB side?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

In the Data Source Settings for the SQL Server database you can increase the timeout.  (You can modify it in the Data Source Settings itself or if this is just one place you are using it, you can modify it in the M code in the Source line.)

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I found this about Azure databases

"As you noticed, connecting to Azure SQL DB is a little different from connecting to a Microsoft SQL Server. Generally for Azure, you connect to individual databases, not an entire server - so there's really no concept of configuring server timeout settings"

I think this means that you cant do anything about the timeout on the SQL DB side?

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Interesting one. After some research, the table its self isnt going over the size limits. If you change it to a view and add this to Power BI instead it works fine.

Could there possibly be any issues with using tables with a Column Store Index on them?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors