Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tkaczmarczyk
Regular Visitor

"Do not summarize" missing

Hi!

Is there a reason why I can't select "Do not summarize" for any of my number fields? 

The data I'm using here comes from an Azure SQL database. 

Does this feature exist for anybody else or is it disabled site-wide for some reason?

Best regards,

Tom Kaczmarczyk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@tkaczmarczyk unfortunately, unlike Power Pivot in Excel, the Desktop does not support "Do not summarize" right now.  The only way to get rid of those Sum symbols is to mark your columns as text instead of number (so you can have your Year column of data type Text and not Whole Number).  

Not elegant by any means but helps in the short run until it gets fixed, hopefully soon...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@tkaczmarczyk unfortunately, unlike Power Pivot in Excel, the Desktop does not support "Do not summarize" right now.  The only way to get rid of those Sum symbols is to mark your columns as text instead of number (so you can have your Year column of data type Text and not Whole Number).  

Not elegant by any means but helps in the short run until it gets fixed, hopefully soon...

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Doesn't exist in the service.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hmm. But I do see that the feature in itself exists: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/471200-change-the-aggregation-in-a-chart-sum-aver...

And I arrive at the exact same result when using Power BI Desktop - can't treat numeric fields in any way that's not summarized, rendering a lot of scenarios unavailable (e.g. it's impossible to generate a scatter plot). 

I agree rendering many situations is impossible, just speaking about simple scenario when you want to plot days of month on x axis.

Here is the idea for it, can't believe it only had 1 vote when I went to it:

https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi/suggestions/9208014-power-pivot-do-not-summarize-...

Latest book!:

Oops. Had a period at the end of the link. This one should work better: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/471200-change-the-aggregation-in-a-chart-sum-aver... - and this implies that this feature exists somewhere, but I can see it neither in the browser-based Power BI service nor in Power BI Desktop:

Power BI Desktop.PNG

Do you see that option for your data sets? Perhaps it's a bug with the way Power BI handles Azure SQL.

That link didn't work, but yes, it exists in Excel and Desktop.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors