Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SamTrexler
Helper IV
Helper IV

"Couldn’t retrieve the data for this visual" when using RLS

Using Row-Level Security, I am getting the error "Couldn't load the data for this visual" for members of the group that are not admins.

The group is an Office 365 security group (if I understood the admin who created it for me), and I set it up in Power BI Service for view-only by members. I have pinned a live page to the dashboard, and admins of the group can see and interact with the visuals, but non-admins see a grey box with an "X" and a "See details" link. Clicking the link gives a box indicating "Couldn't load the data for this visual" and suggesting the user try again later or contact support.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a bug in the "preview" of RLS, or something about the way I've set up RLS? I guess I'm kind of getting the result I want - members can't see the data - but I'm not sure whether RLS is actually accomplishing that, or there is some other error I need to resolve.

Thanks,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SamTrexler,

As you mentioned "The group is an Office 365 security group (if I understood the admin who created it for me), and I set it up in Power BI Service for view-only by members.", do you mean you added the Office 365 security group as a member of the Power BI group workspace? Actually, we are not able to add security group to Power BI group workspace.

Also based on my test, if we add the security group as a member under RLS role, then share the dashboard with a security group member, the user can access his own data. In your scenario, please follow steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check if the recipients is Pro user. As RLS feature is Pro content, the user needs to be Pro user then he can see the shared dashboard data.

2. Test the role after you adding the Office 365 security group under RLS role.

q1.PNGr2.PNG

Besides,"By the way, when I start typing to add a member to the group, the name of the group is among the suggestions. Office 365 shows it as a "Private Group" that members must be approved by an admin, and those outside the organization are not allowed to join.". It seems that you are trying to add members to security group, right? For this issue, I would suggest you contact your Office 365 Administrator for help.

Reference:
Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI (Preview)

Create a group in Power BI

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SamTrexler,

As you mentioned "The group is an Office 365 security group (if I understood the admin who created it for me), and I set it up in Power BI Service for view-only by members.", do you mean you added the Office 365 security group as a member of the Power BI group workspace? Actually, we are not able to add security group to Power BI group workspace.

Also based on my test, if we add the security group as a member under RLS role, then share the dashboard with a security group member, the user can access his own data. In your scenario, please follow steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check if the recipients is Pro user. As RLS feature is Pro content, the user needs to be Pro user then he can see the shared dashboard data.

2. Test the role after you adding the Office 365 security group under RLS role.

q1.PNGr2.PNG

Besides,"By the way, when I start typing to add a member to the group, the name of the group is among the suggestions. Office 365 shows it as a "Private Group" that members must be approved by an admin, and those outside the organization are not allowed to join.". It seems that you are trying to add members to security group, right? For this issue, I would suggest you contact your Office 365 Administrator for help.

Reference:
Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI (Preview)

Create a group in Power BI

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SamTrexler
Helper IV
Helper IV

RLS works correctly if I assign individual users to the role. But that kind of defeats the purpose of a group.  

When I (an admin of the group) remove the individual user and re-add the group, the member of the group once again receives this error.

By the way, when I start typing to add a member to the group, the name of the group is among the suggestions. Office 365 shows it as a "Private Group" that members must be approved by an admin, and those outside the organization are not allowed to join.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors