Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RxG
Frequent Visitor

"Couldn't load the data for this visual" error with Composite Dataset in direct query mode

I have a report that connects to Dataset A and Dataset B in direct query mode. I do not have any other data sources in that report.

After publishing the report in a shared workspace (which is other than MyWorkspace), the report only works fine for the Owner group. 

But as soon as I share the report with end users, they see the following error in all the visuals. Any advice will be highly appreciated please.

Couldn't load the data for this visual

Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Hide details

• Activity ID467f596e-e175-4faf-b445-9d1d2436930f
  • Request ID8c618bff-6e0b-f2da-4f88-cd7ae1a98033
  • Correlation ID1ee9de91-44f8-3874-b755-15c1be7af4df
  • TimeFri Jun 04 2021 08:41:05 GMT+0100 (British Summer Time)
  • Service version13.0.16120.55
  • Client version2105.3.06191-train
  • Cluster URIhttps://wabi-europe-north-b-redirect.analysis.windows.net/
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RxG 

I was about to reply and say that the users need to be members of the workspace or if the datasets are in separate workspaces then the users need to be also members of those 2 workspaces.

Now, External users to consume your report means 2 solutions, Either you give them or add them as guests to your workspace with at least a Pro license or the workspace itself needs to move from shared capacity to premium capacity.

Here is a link to Limitations

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

aj1973_0-1623070801870.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RxG ,

For app workspace, you can only grant build permission for Dataset A and Dataset B for users that you want to share the DQ report to .

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same or very similar problem. Very keep on finding a solution so please post any information you get here!

RxG
Frequent Visitor

Just to add bit of further information. 

In a normal report that is pulling data from one Power BI dataset in LIVE Connection mode, when the report is shared with end users the link works fine for them.

But if the same report is upgraded to pull data from two Power BI dataset in DirectQuery mode then the link stops working for them. Further, when I add the end users as members in the workspace, it again starts working for them. 

The problem is that we can't add all the users in our workspace. We are expecting some external users also to be consuming this report in near future.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RxG 

I was about to reply and say that the users need to be members of the workspace or if the datasets are in separate workspaces then the users need to be also members of those 2 workspaces.

Now, External users to consume your report means 2 solutions, Either you give them or add them as guests to your workspace with at least a Pro license or the workspace itself needs to move from shared capacity to premium capacity.

Here is a link to Limitations

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

aj1973_0-1623070801870.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi @aj1973 , 
can you please help by giving some info about this link: whats it hitting, source etc
https://wabi-us-central-b-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/powerbi/metadata/models/217555/?mode...  ?

@Vishwanath29999 

What is this link? Access denied.

What is your question?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi @aj1973

We have reports published into a pro-licensed workspace. We are using these reports in an application. The Problem is when applying filters or logging into the application as a user, one of the report shows visuals with error: "

Couldn't load the data for this visual

Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details
  • Activity ID50d27a49-ccfe-46ae-8825-a1afc8b15eb8
  • Request IDd7e0b9cb-97b2-4244-b000-a63f06e14b32
  • Correlation ID19abb442-4942-8505-d551-62f75e52f2a3
  • TimeFri Oct 06 2023 21:29:14 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
  • Service version13.0.21669.112
  • Client version2309.4.15949-train
  • Cluster URIhttps://WABI-US-CENTRAL-B-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net".
This report visuals works fine sometimes but also shows the above error very often. 
So, The link that I posted yesterday was what I got when I "inspected" the page. I was just looking for a starting point. I don't think we need to worry about the link if we got the visuals right all the time. Thanks a lot for you fast response. I appreciate it.
RxG
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Amine. Looks like you have well pointed out worspace upgrade. I think we haven't upgraded the workspace and hence are having to add memnbers to the workspaces. I already had the build access setup on the datasets in the chain though.

I will give it a go and will update you here. I suspect it might take a bit of time as I will need to work with others to assess and implement this change. Once that has been fixed I will come back here and update you.

Thank you again so much. 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RxG 

Not sure if by saying Dataset A and Dataset B you mean by Source A and Source B, because you can't build a single report from 2 datasets.

Lets assume you meant by Source A and source B, in that case in Direct Query mode Data must come from a single source. So I am guessing that is the issue you are having.

aj1973_0-1623014394619.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

RxG
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Amine for the quick response.

These are the steps I did to create the report:

1) I created Report A / Dataset A in import mode using various sources including third party APIs, SQL Database Tables, excel files etc. 

2) I then created Report B / Dataset B in import mode separately. Both these reports are working fine in every way including the user access.

3) I then enabled the preview feature namely "Direct Query for PBI datasets for PBI Datasets and AS as follows:

File -> Options and Settings -> Global Preview Features -> Direct Query for PBI Datasets and AS.

4)  I then created report C in direct query mode that connects to Dataset A and Dataset B. This became possible after enabling the above preview feature. This report works fine in PBI desktop and even in the portal any users that belong to the owner workspace can see this report perfectly. 

The error only shows up when users within the organisation who have been granted access to this report but are not members of the owner workspace try to access this report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors