cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ToddChitt Helper V
Helper V

"App, Reshare" permissions keep coming back.

I have an App Workspace (new style) and for the Dataset Permissions, I list several individual names. For each, I remove the "Reshare" permission. 

I then PUBLISH the App and on the Permissions tab, uncheck all the boxes. The same names are listed here as on the Dataset Permissions area.

After publishing, all the users listed under Dataset Permissions are back to having "App, Reshare".

How do I STOP the users from having "RESHARE" permissions? Why does it keep coming back.

20 REPLIES 20
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: "App, Reshare" permissions keep coming back.

Hi there

I am not sure as to why it is coming back.

What happens if you view the permission for your dataset, by clicking on Datasets, then Manage Permissions?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ToddChitt ,

Can you please explain more about your operations and scenario? It is hard to troubleshooting without any detail informations.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin Sheng
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly
Learning resources: Power BI
ToddChitt Helper V
Helper V

@v-shex-msft 

Thanks for the reply. To clarify my steps:

1) Open an App Workspace, expand it to see all content, specifically the DATASETS

2) Click the elipsis next to a DATASET and select MANAGE PERMISIONS

3) In user the list, take one user that has "App, reshare" permissions, click the elipsis and select "Remove Reshare"

2019-09-03_9-22-56.jpg

4) Click Update the App.

5) On the Permissions tab, verify that the name above is listed to be given access to the app. Also verify that all the check boxes (on the Permissions tab) are un-checked. 

6) Go back to the Datasets area under the Workspace, for the same dataset, same user. 

7) Notice that the user is back to having "App, reshare" permissions. 

Question: How to I keep a User from having RESHARE permissions? It keeps coming back. I want them to have App permisions and no more. Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a SAVE step somewhere? Is this a bug? Is it by design?

AndyWald
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue.  Following the same steps as ToddChitt.  This seems to me to be a new bug since when I initially set up the permissions a few weeks ago this was not happening.  

Is there any resolution or way for me t keep the Reshare permissions disabled when publishing the app?  

Super User IV
Super User IV

I can see the same thing happening.

The only thing I could think of, is if the App is the only way for the user to consume the report then they cannot actually reshare the App or reports/dashboards.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ToddChitt ,

According to your steps, I can reproduce your scenario. I will report this to power bi team and update here if any ETA.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin Sheng
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly
Learning resources: Power BI
JCM
Regular Visitor

Hello,

We are also experiencing the same issue in our organisation. It seems to be "by-design". I have created an idea in the Microsoft Power BI Ideas. Please use this link if you wish to vote.

AndyWald
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for creating the Idea.  

This is really disappointing if it is "by design".  It causes real security risks since it appears that the reshare functionality makes RLS not work correctly, particularly with regards to exporting data.  

ToddChitt Helper V
Helper V

@v-shex-msftAny word on this? You created a BUG report on or about 9/11? That was 15 WEEKS ago. I still see the behavior. I still see this as a MAJOR SECURITY RISK as I CANNOT STOP OTHERS FROM SHARING SOMETHING. This should have gone to the top of the list.

Please advise.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications