Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

itelligent-i
Helper I
Helper I

problems external sharing

Hi All, I've shared two dashboards with a number of users all who have O365 accounts & tennents for their respective companies.

Non of the users can access the dashboard and there is no reason why this should be the cas, but obviousl I'm missing something.  The reports are built from csv and excel files, but no gateway connectons have been configured.  is this my problem?

An thoughts would be appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
itelligent-i
Helper I
Helper I

Quick update - I've managed to share with another user who has Power BI Free account.  I have shared 2 dashboards from within My Workspace and another workgroup.  The user can access via the link no problem.

SO I'm still having issues.  any ones anyideas. 

I have shared sucessfully with 2 domians, but 3 other domains cannot access the same Dashboard.  ???  Is there any domain level blocking enabled?

all users can access the Power BI service as free users...

Thanks

@itelligent-i Have you verified with the end user that they are accessing the dashboard via the email link you sent them? External sharing seems to be different in view/funcionality, as the end user actually has to save the dashboard link because it won't show in their workspace...

From the support page here:

When you share with people outside your organization

When you share with people outside your organization, they get an email with a link to the shared dashboard. They have to sign in to Power BI to see the dashboard. If they don't have a Power BI account, they can create one after clicking the link.

After they sign in, they see the shared dashboard in its own browser window without the left navigation pane, not in their usual Power BI portal. They have to bookmark the link to access this dashboard in the future.

They can't edit any content in this dashboard or report. They can interact with the charts in the report (cross-highlight) and change any filters/slicers available on the reports connected to the dashboard.

Only your direct recipients can see the shared dashboard. In the example above, only Vicki@contoso.com can see the dashboard. No-one else can see that dashboard, even if they have the link, and Vicki has to use the same email address to access that dashboard. If she signs up with any other email address, she won't have access to the dashboard either.

People outside your organization can't see any data if role- or row-level security is implemented on Analysis Services tabular models on-premises.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks  @Seth_C_Bauer.But yes, absolutley I have.  As mentioned the dashboard has been sucessfully shared with a free user on a different domain.  The dashboard does indeed display without the users workspace etc. but functions perfectly well for that free user.

The importance here being that this verifies the dashboard and reports as meeting the requirements for a Dashboard to be shared externally (eg no fetures requiring a professional license) ..... so why can't others (who all actually have O365 tennents setup) not access the dashboard?!?!?

Hugely frustrating...

@itelligent-i Understandable. The same set up, the same share, the same free license, some users have it working while others do not, are all things that initially lead me to believe it's end user error... As far as domains being blocked, I believe you would get a hard warning message when you input the user and domain if it was invalid. 

For the end users where it still does not work, what is the behavior they are seeing, and is it consistent between them all?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer - yes it is flawless for the users that can access it....

The other thing to mention is that one of the domains that cannot access the Dashboard has several users that recieve the same issue message.

There is one other aspect to this perhaps.  All of these external users that cannot access the Dashboard do have access to s SharePoint site in our tennent - could this be having any impact?...  I need to work out a way to test this...

@itelligent-i From my understanding, I don't think the SharePoint access would be an issue. Are the 3 users using ADFS in their tenant? It's possible that if they are within the domain and trying to access the URL provided that their environment is trying to auth the access against their internal domain. (I'm not an AD expert, I just have access and am talking to one, an he mentioned this may cause an issue in this scenerio) - worth looking at.

Now that's a good hout @Seth_C_Bauer .  The user that can access the dashboard does (without any don't) have ADFS configured. 

I will ping them an emai to find out. 

Hi @itelligent-i

I'm wondering if this issue was resolved for you.  If so, how did you resolve it?

I am having the exact same issue.  I shared with three  external users and only one can access my dashboard. 

What's interesting is that, the other two that cannot access have O365.  On the other hand, the person who can access my dashboard without any problem does NOT have O365.

Based on this, I suspect it has something to do with end users O365 environment?  I searched all of the blog for an answer but can't get any.  If you had resolved this issue, please share.

Hey Paul,

I had a similar issue but was able to resolve it.  It's a pretty specific case but may help you find a workaround. Here is a description of the scenario and the workaround. Hope it helps!

Dashboard was loaded to a distinct workspace that was created when the project started. Although I am an admin on this workspace the owner of any given workspace is created using a mock email address of the workspace name and virtualized in Azure AD. PBI allows admins to share dashboards in a workspace but it looks like it actually doesn’t grant access to users outside the organization. In order to get around this I had to give myself direct access to the dashboard with sharing permissions on and then, using the link in the access granted mail, re-grant any outside domain user.

Hey Paul,

I had a similar issue but was able to resolve it.  It's a specific case but may help you find a workaround. Here is a description of the scenario and the workaround. Hope it helps!

Dashboard was loaded to a distinct workspace that was created when the project started. Although I am an admin on this workspace the owner of any given workspace is created using a mock email address of the workspace name and virtualized in Azure AD. PBI allows admins to share dashboards in a workspace but it looks like it actually doesn’t grant access to users outside the organization. In order to get around this I had to give myself direct access to the dashboard with sharing permissions on and then, using the link in the access granted mail, re-grant any outside domain user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors