Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Christophe93
Helper II
Helper II

premium deployment pipelines behaviour with a dataset under incremental

Hi

I know a desktop deployment (or pbix service download) of Incremental DS will erase all partitions
And force a full refresh
But how do the premium pipelines behave please ?

For example pipeline will detect that finally only a measure DAX formula is modified & therefore the partitions are not overwritten

Pipeline would rather be "metadata update" than I erase everything ;>)

Best regards

Christophe 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Christophe93
Helper II
Helper II

Hi Stephano

Why do you talk please about  pbix during the deployments to  TEST & PROD  worksapces?
It is the metadata of the selected components that are used (no pbix) 

I found a nice article on it

https://data-marc.com/2020/07/09/why-you-should-care-about-power-bi-deployment-pipelines/

The pipeline is "Metadata only deployment" compatible

"...A second advantage for Deployment Pipelines is the meta data deployment. By moving content to the next stage, a meta data deployment is done. As a result, you are not overwriting your dataset which would have required a full refresh. This helps you in deploying only that one measure or doing quick fixes on your report without the need to directly working on production or create a temporary freeze of content."

All partitions will be updated with new null columns or deleted but without ... purge
And the formulas measures ("on the fly" resolution) will be updated

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@Christophe93,

please refer to this part in the documentation, it answers how pipelines behave with incremental refresh.

Christophe93
Helper II
Helper II

Hi Stephano

Why do you talk please about  pbix during the deployments to  TEST & PROD  worksapces?
It is the metadata of the selected components that are used (no pbix) 

I found a nice article on it

https://data-marc.com/2020/07/09/why-you-should-care-about-power-bi-deployment-pipelines/

The pipeline is "Metadata only deployment" compatible

"...A second advantage for Deployment Pipelines is the meta data deployment. By moving content to the next stage, a meta data deployment is done. As a result, you are not overwriting your dataset which would have required a full refresh. This helps you in deploying only that one measure or doing quick fixes on your report without the need to directly working on production or create a temporary freeze of content."

All partitions will be updated with new null columns or deleted but without ... purge
And the formulas measures ("on the fly" resolution) will be updated

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

as a nomrla upload meaning when you upload the pbix to the development pipeline all partition are errased right, so when you move it to the end of the pipeline same, it will need to do a full refresh cause you are basically deleting the xisting pbix in the production part and putting up a new pbix with the same name, 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors