Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ingmar43
Regular Visitor

power bi desktop shows different data than in power bi service, except after I publish the report.

Hello Everybody, 

I have an issue with power bi desktop vs power bi service. I have a power bi pro account. I have a report that gets data from API's and sharepoint sites and I display this in both a report and some dashboards. 

The refresh on power bi service doesn't show the same results as the refresh on power bi desktop. Except when I publish the report to power bi service it briefly shows the correct data, however it reverts back to the old data. Does anybody have any experience with this or has anybody encountered something similar? 

Kind regards, 

Ingmar Bolderink

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Both, 

I found out that my dataset loaded the same amount of data (counts of hours per employee in this case) except the first and last documented date had an offset by one (desktop vs. service). I think power bi service and power bi desktop handle the parsing of date differently (european vs us date format or something). I changed all my date parsing and forced a dateformat on it and it seems to work. this was a very frustrating escercise. Thank you so much for your repsonse and thinking along with me!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
tinnafenger
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I am looking to do the same, can you please provide more details on the steps you performed to "... change all my date parsing and forced a date format..."

Thanks,

Tinna

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ingmar43 ,

On Service,did you directly get the data from Sharepoint online?If so,when you make changes on desktop,you need first to make a refresh in Sharepoint online,then make a refresh in Service,as the data in Service is synchronized with the data in Sharepoint online.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hello Both, 

I found out that my dataset loaded the same amount of data (counts of hours per employee in this case) except the first and last documented date had an offset by one (desktop vs. service). I think power bi service and power bi desktop handle the parsing of date differently (european vs us date format or something). I changed all my date parsing and forced a dateformat on it and it seems to work. this was a very frustrating escercise. Thank you so much for your repsonse and thinking along with me!

Hi @Ingmar43

Great!So glad to hear that you have solved the issue,could you mark the reply as answered to close it?

Much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Kelly
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I have seen is that sometimes the difference is that you have filters on your report in the Power BI Service which is making the data appear to be different.

IF you can ensure that you have no filters being applied.

Also if you can click on the "Reset to Default" button which should reset the report to the published version?

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ, 

I only apply filters in the desktop version and then publish them. Even when I press Reset to Default I still get the differences. Even after republishing the report to a different workspace. 

Hi there

I would suggest that there is some type of filtering that is going on in the Power BI Service or in your dataset before you upload it to the Power BI service.

Do you have any parameters that could be affecting the dataset?

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors