Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

power bi data gateway: where to install.

I am the only pbi developer at my work. The last pbi developer (has left) created some reports and did some scheduled refreses on them. 

I don't know where he installed the data gateway as the refreshes are still going on and he has left.

Should i install the data gateway on my work laptop or get the admin to install on the actual server.

i am fairly new to this terminology of servers.

what i have gotten so far is if the gateway is installed on the server it needs to have my email address entered that matches my pbi service account.

if i install on my work laptop then there will be problems as it won't be connected 24/7 to the internet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @akhaliq7 ,

don't install the gateway on your machine. When you're not working, when you reboot, when you are on holiday, all the reports using the gateway can't refresh.

Go to powerplatform admin portal, here you will find all the DataGateways:

https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/ext/DataGateways

There you can also see if they are online, on which machine they are running and you can add yourself as an admin of that gateway. Then you can take them over and control them.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @akhaliq7 ,

You could refer this document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-migrate 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @akhaliq7 

If the reports are still refreshing then there is no need for a gateway in your machine. The other developper must have installed the Gateway on premises, all you need to do is Take over the Gateway from your service however you have to be added already as the Admin of the Gateway. If you are not added then someone needs to login to his account and add you as Admin of the Gateway, then you can take over.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @akhaliq7 ,

don't install the gateway on your machine. When you're not working, when you reboot, when you are on holiday, all the reports using the gateway can't refresh.

Go to powerplatform admin portal, here you will find all the DataGateways:

https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/ext/DataGateways

There you can also see if they are online, on which machine they are running and you can add yourself as an admin of that gateway. Then you can take them over and control them.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks for your reply, When i click on the link no gateway appears. Is it that a gateway needs to be installed and (I am fairly new to understanding how servers work) do i need my admin team to install the gateway on their on premises server.

Hey @akhaliq7 ,

you would find there all the enterprise gateways that are used in your tenant.

Private gateways are not visible in that page.

Best regards

Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors