Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

naelske_cronos
Helper III
Helper III

personal gateway and scheduled refresh

Hello,

I'm not very familiar with configuring gateways and I want to know how it works in my example. Mayble it's a little bit vague what i'm going to ask but how or what do I need to make a scheduled refresh work with a personal gateway on a private network?

• So, I made a Python script in which I use AWS SDK for Python (Boto3) to get data from buckets in AWS S3. In this Python script I use the best practices to retrieve credentials via files located on my computer instead of hardcoding the credentials in the code.
  • I installed and configured a personal gateway on my PC because I know that Python or R scripts don't work with an enterprise gateway. If I understand right, the gateway is used to act as a bridge to transfer on-premise data to Power BI service? But how does that work with a Python script? Aren't I calling data from the cloud (AWS S3) with my Python script?
  • When I try to refresh my Power BI report with that Python script in Power BI service with a scheduled refresh, it works. When I do this on a private network, it doesn't work anymore? A proxy server is used in the private network but how do I configure my gateway or Power BI to let my scheduled refresh work?

Can someone also explain me how this look architectural? Passing data from a Python-script running on a private network to Power Bi service if not too much asked?

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @naelske_cronos 

as I understand "private network" means the personal gateway is installed on a different machine and the network is not as open as on your machine.

For this I recommend to use fiddler to trace what's going on when you run the python script and check if these domains and/or sites are accessible from the other machine as well.

I guess you have to consult with your firewall team.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Perhaps I am missing something but if it works when you use the Service, are you not good? I'm missing the private network part here, are you saying that you have data on a private network that you are trying to access but then how can that be if you are getting your data from AWS? Confused.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello @Greg_Deckler,

No on my personal computer it works with an open network, to access the data on AWS with the Python script and it als refreshes the data in Power BI desktop as via the gateway in Power BI service but when I try to do the same on that private network it doesn't work anymore.

Kind regards

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @naelske_cronos 

I have to admit that my experience using Personal Gateway is quite limited, but maybe this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-proxy

can also be used to configure the Proxy in combination with an on-premises gateway installed in personal mode

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the documentation. I already looked at this but it doesn't really help me. I guess there's something wrong with the Python script?

Kind regards

Hey @naelske_cronos 

as I understand "private network" means the personal gateway is installed on a different machine and the network is not as open as on your machine.

For this I recommend to use fiddler to trace what's going on when you run the python script and check if these domains and/or sites are accessible from the other machine as well.

I guess you have to consult with your firewall team.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors