Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Raki39
Frequent Visitor

overwriting default filter selection with new filter values using query filter parameter URL

Hi,
I need to pass new set of filter values to the power bi report using query parameter URL  however the same column has been already used as a filter to the report with a default value.
EX: I have fisicalyear column in filter with 2022 as a default value. when i was trying to pass fiscalyear with 2020 and 2021 as filters using query parameter string resulting no data ( even though both 2020 and 2021 is having the data). 

Default Filer:

Raki39_0-1669043814532.png

Passed Filter:

Raki39_1-1669043869357.png

is there any way to acheive it?

Thanks in Advance,
Raki

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @Raki39 

According to your description, the filter URL is the result of adding a filter to the visit page, because your previous page was filtered by 2020, and then you added a filter to the URL is 2021, at this time there is no 2021 on the basis of 2020 filtering, so this is a normal phenomenon. For your needs, I recommend that you set the selection of the original report slicer to not select, and then use the filter URL function to achieve your needs.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Raki39 

According to the screenshot and description you provided, I think the reason why the filter of your "Fiscal Year" field does not show the data filtering for 2022 and 2021 is that their dataset has been filtered by filters at other levels, resulting in only 7 pieces of data filtered at present, because the filters in Power BI are intersected, my suggestion is that you can try to remove the filter at other levels by eraser first and observe this "Fiscal Year" The filter of the field shows whether there is a change.

Types of filters in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1669083925489.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi @v-yueyunzh-msft ,
Thank you for the response.  Sorry if my question is not clear. 
Actually, I have a report X where user want to see the fiscal year filter to be defaulted to 2023 and prbllty to A,B,C (A,B,C,D are the columns values).
Now I have to navigate from a Dashboard(different application) to this report X using query parameter URL. We are passing the parameter values dynamically to the query parameter URL based on the dashboard selection.
For example, if I 2020 data was select in the dashboard, then 2020 will be passed as parameter to the report  and the same filter selection shd be show in the navigated report  i.e 2020. But in this case, due to the default selection ( 2022) the new filter is unable to overwrite the existing filter selection thuogh it is showing in the filter value but without selection.
Is there anyway that I can clear the default selection dynamically before passing the query parameter or can overwrite the default value.

Thanks,

Rakesh

Hi , @Raki39 

According to your description, the filter URL is the result of adding a filter to the visit page, because your previous page was filtered by 2020, and then you added a filter to the URL is 2021, at this time there is no 2021 on the basis of 2020 filtering, so this is a normal phenomenon. For your needs, I recommend that you set the selection of the original report slicer to not select, and then use the filter URL function to achieve your needs.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors