Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aselad82
Frequent Visitor

only users with Power BI Pro licenses can publish to this workspace

Hi, after obtaining the power bi pro licenses I have created a new app workspace. What I want is to simply publish a report to this new app workspace similar to what I would do when publishing work my workspaces. But once I try to publish a report to this new workspace, it is not allowing me to publish and throwing the following error(refer screen shot below)

publish.png

I have also checked the product licenses applicable under my user name in the Microsoft 365 admin center and it clearly shows that I have the Power Bi pro license(Refer screen shot below).

licenses.png

I have tried to signout and signin from both the powerbi service and desktop but I am still getting the same error. 

After I publish this message in the community, I tried to create an app workspace using the revert to classic option, and then it worked smoothly. It seems there is an issue when creating the workspaces with the upgraded workspace option. 

9 REPLIES 9
sheatsej
Frequent Visitor

The same issue happened to me on 10/21/2020. Created a new 'test' workspace and reverted back to classic. I then tried publishing to the new workspace and it worked. Went back to the actual workspace that I need to use and tried publishing to it, and it worked again! 

I have no idea why this error occurs, but it tricks PBI into thinking that you have a license (even though you really do).

slewis
Helper I
Helper I

I get this problem when trying to publish to the upgraded workspaces. If I delete it and make a non upgraded one, then it works fine. If I then upgrade that workspace, I'm back to not being able to publish.

Update: I submitted a support ticket to microsoft about it. The engineer confirms that when you are first assigned a power bi pro license it takes 24 hours to fully take effect. My issue has been resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem. The fix for me was to get my administrator to my revoke my Power BI PRO licence and to get it re-assigned.

mittalpatel130
Helper III
Helper III

Were you able to solve this issue? I'm also facing exact same issue.

Thank you.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @aselad82 

I have tested on my side, but not reproduce the issue.

Do you try to recreate the new workspace and publish it again?

If you still have the problem, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lili6-msft on the following day, I tried to create a new workspace using the upgrade feature option and it worked without issues. But on the day when I tried to switch to powerBI pro I was having difficulty creating workspaces in the upgrade but only was able to create using the classic feature. 

hi, @aselad82 

For the strange issue, 

Since you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

and share the reply with us. Smiley Happy

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lili6-msft,

I have a customer where one of its users have the same issue as @aselad82 . I have tested things like cancelling his subscription, wait for like 30 mins, reactivate the subscription, wait again and test if the user can publish a report - the problem still persists.

I have also tried what you suggest: create a brand new workspace with only this user having access, and it still doesn't work. However, in the organization they have an 'old' workspace (with the old settings etc.) to which he CAN publish reports, which confuses me deeply.

Does this help narrow in the issue, or should I, too, create a ticket?

hi, @Anonymous 

We couldn't reproduce the issue, so we couldn't submit this case to power bi product team,

For the strange issue, I suggest you create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help and share the reply with us. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors