Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

? on use cases of Dashboards using Premium

Our organization is using Power BI Premium - only a handfull of us have Pro licenses.

I don't see any use for dashboards with Premium users since they cannot save anything to them or modify them.  I am using reports exclusively.

I feel I might be missing something, however.  Are there valuable use cases I am not thinking of?

Thanks,

Dale

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

If I create a dashboard in that workspace, as a Pro user I can pin visualizations to it from any report I have access to - whether it is in this workspace or not.  If I click on a visualization in that dashboard, it will take me to the associated report - whereever it may be.

It seems that you only could pin the visual from the reports to the dashboard in the same workspace.

If I choose to publish that dashboard in the App, what will Premium users be able to see? 

• Will they only see and/or be able to visit visualizations that were pinned from published reports from this workworkspace?
  • Will they be able to see and/or visit visualizations from reports from this workspace, even if they were not published?
  • Will they be able to see and/or visit visualizations from reports that were neither published in the app or reside in this workspace?

Certainly, the Premium user cannot pin their own visualizations to the dashboard because it is read-only.

Assuming that you share an app including dashboards, reports and the datasets. The receiver could only see the content you published. You could select or unselect the dashbords or the reports in your app workspace when you publish the App or update the App.

Untitled.png

For further, you could have a view of share app with dashboards and reports.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The use case for Premium is that the users you share the read only dashboards and reports do not require a Power BI License per user.

Not only that, but there are a whole host of existing features (Incremental Refresh, dedicated hardware) that you can currently use. As well as additional functionality that is coming later this year. Which can be found in the Business Applications Road Map

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/april18/release-overview

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ, I guess I didn't make my question clear enough.

I use Premium, I am not cofused about the value it brings.

What I am asking about is: what is the use case for utilizing Dashboards in published Apps in Premium?  I use reports, but see no benefit in using a published Dashboard in that model.  Am I missing something?

Dale

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for the clarification.

You can certainly share content via the Apps with just the reports and not having any dashboards.

I always say that it depends on the requirement of the audience consuming the reports or dashboards. Sometimes Dashboards have a use case, and sometimes they do not. With the Apps you get the flexibility to use it or not use it as required.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ- I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but I asked a very specific question that your replies do not address. 

I would invite anyone else to please respond - I don't see a benefit of Dashboards over Reports in published Apps.  Does anyone have a valuable use case for App Dashboards?

thanks,

Dale

Hi @Anonymous,

The dashboard in app has the same effect with the dashboard in Power BI Service.

It seems that you are confused about the difference about dashboard and report in Power BI.

Actually, Dashboards are a wonderful way to monitor your business, to look for answers, and to see all of your most-important metrics at a glance. The visualizations on a dashboard may come from one underlying dataset or many, and from one underlying report or many. A dashboard combines on-premises and cloud-born data, providing a consolidated view regardless of where the data lives.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is true that I may be very confused, still.  If you would be kind enough to help me with my questions below and tell me where I'm confused and where I'm just being stupid, I'd really appreciate it.

So if I start with an App workspace, it can contain multiple reports, datasets and dashboards. 

Reports and datasets are typically one-to-one, so the report and associated dataset would be in this workspace.  When I publish the App, I can choose one or more reports to include in the App, which would access the associated dataset living in the workspace.

If I create a dashboard in that workspace, as a Pro user I can pin visualizations to it from any report I have access to - whether it is in this workspace or not.  If I click on a visualization in that dashboard, it will take me to the associated report - whereever it may be.

If I choose to publish that dashboard in the App, what will Premium users be able to see? 

• Will they only see and/or be able to visit visualizations that were pinned from published reports from this workworkspace?
  • Will they be able to see and/or visit visualizations from reports from this workspace, even if they were not published?
  • Will they be able to see and/or visit visualizations from reports that were neither published in the app or reside in this workspace?

Certainly, the Premium user cannot pin their own visualizations to the dashboard because it is read-only.

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that you only could pin the visual from the reports to the dashboard in the same workspace.

Assuming that you share an app including dashboards, reports and the datasets. The receiver could only see the content you published. You could select or unselect the dashbords or the reports in your app workspace when you publish the App or update the App.

Untitled.png

For further, you could have a view of share app with dashboards and reports.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank-you.

So I think now that a dashboard adds value to a published App only when I publish multiple reports to the App since the dashboard page can display visualizations for any of them.  If I publish only a single report, a report page could do everything a dashboard page can do (plus a lot more).

Please correct me if I got this wrong.

thanks,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors