Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

on-premises gateway offline but running

I have created a PowerBI model in Desktop app on the same machine where the SQL server is hosted. I have been using Import from the SQL Server so all the data is contained in the pbix file.

I now wish to setup a scheduled refresh so the PowerBI model updates with new records as the SQL server gets new data.

I have installed the On-premise gateway in the PowerBI web app, and it says Connection Successful under ‘Add Data Source’. But here I am stuck. Do I then go back into PowerBI and click ‘Publish to PowerBI’?

If I do that,  the Dataset  shows in PowerBI Web, but how do you make it use the On-premise gateway?

At the moment when I go to Settings – Datasets - I am getting the error:

Your data gateway (Power BI – personal) is offline. To set refresh scheduling, make sure your gateway is online.

It says (offline, running)

Do I have to change anything in the PowerBI Desktop file? Or what else could I be missing here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous you have to make sure that both your Power BI Desktop Filename for your SQL Server Source, and the name you create in the Power BI Service (App) have the same names. They are case sensitive so they have to be identical in how they are named.

Power BI - SQL Server Database Screen with Command Timeout.png

As you can see from the Image above for my Power BI Desktop File the Server name is SQLServer, so when I create the dataset on the Web, the name Must be idential for it to work, and to be able to select it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous you have to make sure that both your Power BI Desktop Filename for your SQL Server Source, and the name you create in the Power BI Service (App) have the same names. They are case sensitive so they have to be identical in how they are named.

Power BI - SQL Server Database Screen with Command Timeout.png

As you can see from the Image above for my Power BI Desktop File the Server name is SQLServer, so when I create the dataset on the Web, the name Must be idential for it to work, and to be able to select it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, thanks guavaq. It was just the filenames. Working perfectly now. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors