Frequent Visitor

on-premises data gateway (personal mode) SQL server basic login not working

I installed the latest On-premises data gateway (personal mode) today and a SQL server database I had been successfully connecting to with the previous version (Power BI gateway - personal) is no longer working.  Specifically, I cannot connect to the server's database using the "Basic" login mode.  This has worked flawlessly since the first versions of the personal DMG, so something has clearly been broken.  Also, I am able to connect to other data sources (databases) in the same server using Windows authentication mode.  So, the problem is with "Basic" login mode.

This is a serious issue for us since many reports being refreshed use this data source.  Anyone else experiencing this problem?  Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Thanks,

Bob

Super User

Re: on-premises data gateway (personal mode) SQL server basic login not working

[ Edited ]

Hi @bfrancis

Have you tried to un-install and then re-install with it being an On-Premise gateway and see if that will resolve the error?

And can you also confirm that you can successfully connect to your SQL Server using Basic mode with SQL Server Management Studio?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have this data source in an On-premise gateway and it is working there.  I would prefer to only have the On-premise gateway, but it won't work with Oauth2 data sources (e.g. O365 Project Online, SP, etc.), so I have to have the personal gateway too.

I can log into the data base using an Excel file (I'm using SQL views in the database).

Frequent Visitor

DMG_SQL_source.JPG

Frequent Visitor

Previous post shows data source connecting with on-prem DMG.  Here's what I get from the On-Premises Data Gateway (personal mode) with the same data source.

DMG_SQL_source_error.JPG

Super User

It does appear to me that there is something wrong with the Personal Gateway.

I would suggest logging a support ticket, as I am not sure how else to troubleshoot the error.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Power BI Team

hi @bfrancis,

Are you connecting using the SQL server connector? What's the error message are you seeing? 

Frequent Visitor

Yes, see thread above in this post.  You can see the error I'm getting.

Power BI Team

Got it. 
Since you have the new gateway can you do the following: 

- Re-open the on-premises data gateway (personal mode) from start menu 

- Sign in 

- Click on Export logs. This should put the gateway logs in a .zip file on your desktop 

- Send these logs to me (sent you my contact info as a message)

Super User

Hi @bfrancis

There has been a new release for the Personal Gateway here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-personal-mode/

I am hopeful that this would solve your current issues, so if you can install this and see if this now resolves your error?

If not then as per @dimazaid below, you can send him the log details to investigate further.