Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

YossiKoresh
Regular Visitor

on-premises data gateway on aws ec2 instance

I'm new to Power BI and I can't figure out what's the best practice to connect power bi to mysql server in AWS.

I downloaded the power bi desktop pro and when I configured a data gateway the scheduling is actually depending on my personal computer.

Of course that this isn't something that we could live with, so can I install the gateway on AWS ec2 instance? if not, what is the proper way to get an updated data without relying on my computer?

Thanks in advance,

Yossi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @YossiKoresh,

Actually, you can install and configure gateway on any other machines that have access to the data source. But gateway should be installed on a physical machine.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
silvio610

Hi, the official support is not clear about this topic. I'm facing the same issue now and this thread (well, the official answers) is useless. I think the question is clear, once I turn off my computer, the online dashboard won't be updated, even if I have the scheduled automation. So, What's the best option to have scheduled automation of the online dashboard? Thanks.

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @YossiKoresh,

As you said “when I configured a data gateway the scheduling is actually depending on my personal computer”, what do you mean? If you just don’t want to install the gateway on your personal machine, here I suggest you to install and configure the gateway on a VM or another machine. Of course, the new one should have access to the data source here.

In addition, based on my research, the gateway could not be installed on cloud-computing platform.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for your response...

I mean that if the computer with the gateway turned off/ not connected to the internet, the report will not be updated.

On which machine should I install the gateway? Amazon ec2 will work? if not, what's the alternative? 

Thank again 🙂

Hi @YossiKoresh,

Actually, the Amazon ec2 will not work. And you shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, such a laptop, that may be turned off, asleep, or not connected to the Internet because the gateway can't run under any of those circumstances. Please check the requirements of installing gateway.

Regards,

Frank

Thanks again for trying helping me..

I already read all the requirements but still didn't understand what's the alternative?

I need to connect to Mysql server but I need to do it not from a specific computer that all the reports will depend on, is there any way to connect not from my computer?

Best,

Yossi

Hi @YossiKoresh,

Actually, you can install and configure gateway on any other machines that have access to the data source. But gateway should be installed on a physical machine.

Regards,

Frank

You may possibly the most useless support staff I've seen on this forum

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors