Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rynhowl
Employee
Employee

null boolean value lumped in with false by slicer

I have a boolean column that is sometimes null, and I have a slicer in my report for that column. The slicer shows "True", "False" and "(Blank)" as options, but selecting "False" includes the "(Blank)" values as well. I want to be able to view data where this is explicitly set to false. Why is the slicer showing separate options if they are equivalent in filtering?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi,

After my test, i think it is a deafult design that if not True, return False regardless of whether is blank or not.

In other words, False includes Blank.

1.PNG

Best Regards,

Giotto

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I know this post is from several months ago. But, I figure someone else is going to run into this and want an actual solution. I did a workaround where I added another text column for display with values: 'True', 'False' and null. The slicer works correctly based on that text column.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

It is because Blank() and True()/False() are different data type.

I did a test, see this:

10.PNG

In this sample, i define a policy for values, and you can see in the above screenshot, the values that lower than 100 is not defined and should return blank, but still return false.

When you add a new definition to values that lower than 100, it will cause data type error.

11.PNG

See my attached pbix file.

Best Regards,

Giotto

Thanks, but this isn't quite the issue I'm having. I'm importing data that has a boolean column, and some of that data is null. So the values in the column are TRUE, FALSE, or NULL. If I create a slicer on that column, it automatically lists all the values in the column, TRUE, FALSE and (Blank) which seems to be the replacement for NULL.

If it is going to display (Blank) as a separate value, it should treat it as a separate value. If it doesn't treat it as a separate value, it should be fixed so that it does. It seems like a valid filtering option, "Show me only data where this value is not null".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I know this post is from several months ago. But, I figure someone else is going to run into this and want an actual solution. I did a workaround where I added another text column for display with values: 'True', 'False' and null. The slicer works correctly based on that text column.

Hi,

After my test, i think it is a deafult design that if not True, return False regardless of whether is blank or not.

In other words, False includes Blank.

1.PNG

Best Regards,

Giotto

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, what is the data type of your slicer column, boolean?

It could be that the blank is getting thrown in there because there are non matching rows in some connected table.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The column I'm using for the slicer is type "True/false". Is there a "boolean" type I'm missing, or is it just the "True/false"?

The only other table I have is a single value with the date, so I don't think it's a issue with other tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors