cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dilumd Established Member
Established Member

new power bi licensing

Dear Friends,

Today I have got an e-mail from MS Power BI which says that “changes to Power BI free licensing”. Under this new licensing policy,

1. Do we have to have Power BI pro version to share our dashboards? Will it restrict the publish to Power BI service?
  2. If you have Pro version for the person who creates the dashboard share that with normal users within the company should the viewers also have to have pro version or the free version?
  3. Under free version are they going to extent the no of data bases that they support?
  4. If you specify your wise access to dashboard these yours should also have Power BI Pro version or only the free version would serve the purpose?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: new power bi licensing

Hi @dilumd

Here are my answers to your questions

1. Going forward you will have to have Power BI Pro to share dashboards. If you use the Free Version you are still able to publish to the Power BI Service, but you will not be able to share it with anyone.
  2. Going forward if you want to share the recipients of your dashboards will have to have the Pro or Premium licensing enabled.
  3. Under free they are going to give it the same capabilites as the Pro version, with one BIG change that there will be no sharing.
  4. For any access to viewing other peoples dashboards you will require the Pro or Premium licenses.

You can find more details here for the licensing

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
dmoffat Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

So this means that if you have 5 people developing PBI Reports and Dashboards and 95+ who just Consume reports that refresh Daily and/or don't use any of the sexy things that apparently PBI Pro offers ( https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-power-bi-pro-content-what-is-it/ ),  you would now be paying $50 US per month but after June 1 you would have to pay $1000+ per month :-) ... even if you never use today's Power BI Pro features.

Simple math and kinda sucks frankly ...  Good luck selling that to management ;-)

**bleep**

34 REPLIES 34
Super User
Super User

Hi @dilumd

Here are my answers to your questions

1. Going forward you will have to have Power BI Pro to share dashboards. If you use the Free Version you are still able to publish to the Power BI Service, but you will not be able to share it with anyone.
  2. Going forward if you want to share the recipients of your dashboards will have to have the Pro or Premium licensing enabled.
  3. Under free they are going to give it the same capabilites as the Pro version, with one BIG change that there will be no sharing.
  4. For any access to viewing other peoples dashboards you will require the Pro or Premium licenses.

You can find more details here for the licensing

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
mbegg Member

Hi @GilbertQ,

Please confirm dashboards can be shared amongst users with Pro licences but not the Premium service? In my opinion, it is not clear from the link you provided.

My organisation has <100 users so the US$ 4,995/month fee for Premium is way too expensive.  

dexterz Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

you not need Premium,pro is not change。

Premium is on-premises and cloud service for big crop

perpor Member

I am searching to understand if this if true, it is very important for us...

Established Member

1.JPG

Established Member

1.JPG

ed_mcdill Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Regarding point 2.

I think that the anwser is basically as guavaq stated:

"A Power BI Pro license is required to receive content from other users, unless the user is associated with dedicated capacity in Power BI Premium." this is from the pricing page small print. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

So if the users are within the premium capacity, they don't need to have a pro licence to receive content, but I guess that is obvious.

dmoffat Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

So this means that if you have 5 people developing PBI Reports and Dashboards and 95+ who just Consume reports that refresh Daily and/or don't use any of the sexy things that apparently PBI Pro offers ( https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-power-bi-pro-content-what-is-it/ ),  you would now be paying $50 US per month but after June 1 you would have to pay $1000+ per month :-) ... even if you never use today's Power BI Pro features.

Simple math and kinda sucks frankly ...  Good luck selling that to management ;-)

**bleep**

Highlighted
nwabramson Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

This sure feels like a bait and switch scam. . .