Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Simon_W
Helper I
Helper I

'new look' metadate 'data updated' source

I'm trying to understand the 'new look' metadate 'data updated' feature.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-look

What is the source if one uses an AAS live connection that fuels data updated?

What happens if my Report has mutiple data sources - which date is reported in this case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Simon_W,

>>What happens if my Report has mutiple data sources - which date is reported in this case?

Have you enabled the 'Parallel loading' option on your report? If this is a case, these data source refresh will be triggered at the same time.

Otherwise, these data sources will refresh based on your query table sorting order. (if you are work with composite mode, 'import mode' source will refresh based on sort order, 'live mode' datasource will refresh when you interact with visuals)

For detail refresh information, you can also take a look at the following link with similar requirements:

PBI service new-look updated time 

Data refresh in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Simon_W,

>>What happens if my Report has mutiple data sources - which date is reported in this case?

Have you enabled the 'Parallel loading' option on your report? If this is a case, these data source refresh will be triggered at the same time.

Otherwise, these data sources will refresh based on your query table sorting order. (if you are work with composite mode, 'import mode' source will refresh based on sort order, 'live mode' datasource will refresh when you interact with visuals)

For detail refresh information, you can also take a look at the following link with similar requirements:

PBI service new-look updated time 

Data refresh in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the further information 

Especially this article Data refresh in Power BI has lots of useful information.

zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Simon_W ,

Updated is a time when your source dataset has been updated. You can find it in your workspace in datasets tab.

Dataset contains all your queries, sources. Once the last query has been updated then it will be your Updated date.

Regarding AAS with Live connection from Power BI. In general, Live mode doesn't allow you to connect to more than 1 source. 

Regards,
Ruslan Zolotukhin (zoloturu)
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
It was useful? Press Thumbs Up!

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

Thanks for the quick reply

the unfortuanat thing for a aas live connection it is a atomatic refresh every hour and has nothing to do with the real data refresh within the Cube.

This is quite misleading because in reports that use aas live connection a report user get the impressions that data has been refreshed where in fact nothing has happend.

sample aas dataset and source for metadata 'data updated' feature:

2020-01-16 13_51_52-Power BI.jpg

@Simon_W ,

How long takes to refresh AAS model? Can you inline a report and a source to be refreshed one by one?

Regards,
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

I'm not quite sure if understand your idea correctly

If you are asking if it is possible to display the correct last refresh date within our power bi reports with a aas live connection - this is already been done.

But unfortunatly the new look is then reporting the "wrong" date for the reasons above in the overall titel. And this discrepancy is difficult to explain to the end users.

the cube is refreshed nightly usually within 20-30minutes

@Simon_W ,

This data is displayed as part of portal and it is done in this way by design. It is time when dataset has been refreshed, not a source. You can explain that to users. If you have any concerns you can post an idea to the portal - https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas and Microsoft Project team will check that and it can be fixed in nearest future if it makes sense to them.

Regards,

i will raise an idea

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors