Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kstrom

multiple data sources not related

I am new to PowerBI and I'm not finding any forums discussing my issue. My manager wants a dashboard of unrelated items on a single dashboard. The data comes from Excel spreadsheets and some from SQLServer. But the individual charts and information should not be connected. Is that possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@kstrom There are multiple ways to do this, but here is a high level implementation that would work.

Create a seperate Desktop file for each report (connection / reports) in Power BI Desktop

For this example say you have 3 sources. You build 3 files named 1,2,3 with different reports.

You publish these files to app.powerbi.com

You will then have dataset 1,2,3 and reports 1,2,3

You can than take a visual, or visuals, from each of these reports and "Pin" them to the same dashboard.

As the manager clicks on each dashboard "Tile" they will be taken to each of the reports where the visuals came from.

Alternatively, you could build this all in one PBIX (Desktop file) and just work of different elements. Your model doesn't need to be all connected behind the scenes, but this might be confusing if any end user needed to use it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@kstrom There are multiple ways to do this, but here is a high level implementation that would work.

Create a seperate Desktop file for each report (connection / reports) in Power BI Desktop

For this example say you have 3 sources. You build 3 files named 1,2,3 with different reports.

You publish these files to app.powerbi.com

You will then have dataset 1,2,3 and reports 1,2,3

You can than take a visual, or visuals, from each of these reports and "Pin" them to the same dashboard.

As the manager clicks on each dashboard "Tile" they will be taken to each of the reports where the visuals came from.

Alternatively, you could build this all in one PBIX (Desktop file) and just work of different elements. Your model doesn't need to be all connected behind the scenes, but this might be confusing if any end user needed to use it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors