Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pmdci
Advocate V
Advocate V

move report to group

I have a user that created a personal report and dashboard. He would now like to move it to a workspace instead so others can work in it.

Is that possible? How do we do this?

Regards,

P.

EDIT: The March 2016 update of Power BI Desktop now allow users to publish reports directly to group workspaces.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mitsu
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

You cnnot move the report directly from my workspace to the Group. One way you could achieve this is as follow .

1> Create a Content Pack with the Personal report and Dashboard in it .

2> Assign the Permission to the group to access the contenc pack .

3> Connect to the content pack from the Group work space . 

4> Edit the report on the group work space by personalizing the content pack . 

Hope this helps .

Regards,

Mitsu

View solution in original post

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

A content pack is a simple solution.

Often, I create my base datasource in desktop and then pull it into the group. I modify the pbix file and update from there.

As a work around, if the datamodel is accessible and can be uploaded to the group, I have successfully used copy/paste to move reports. You open the report for editing, Ctrl-A to Copy All, Ctrl-C to copy, then move to the group, open the datamodel to 'explore' and Ctrl-V to paste the report page in.

This is a slow process but if you do not want to use a content pack it is a legitimate work around.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

A content pack is a simple solution.

Often, I create my base datasource in desktop and then pull it into the group. I modify the pbix file and update from there.

As a work around, if the datamodel is accessible and can be uploaded to the group, I have successfully used copy/paste to move reports. You open the report for editing, Ctrl-A to Copy All, Ctrl-C to copy, then move to the group, open the datamodel to 'explore' and Ctrl-V to paste the report page in.

This is a slow process but if you do not want to use a content pack it is a legitimate work around.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

mitsu
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

You cnnot move the report directly from my workspace to the Group. One way you could achieve this is as follow .

1> Create a Content Pack with the Personal report and Dashboard in it .

2> Assign the Permission to the group to access the contenc pack .

3> Connect to the content pack from the Group work space . 

4> Edit the report on the group work space by personalizing the content pack . 

Hope this helps .

Regards,

Mitsu

Hi @mitsu

We managed to share the report following your suggestion. However users cannot pin any visuals of the report to a dashboard (option to pin is disabled).

Any ideas why?

@MSFT: You must rethink this whole collaboration/sharing in Power BI. I am at a customer site and they don't seem that impressed (the overall feeling is that it is quite clunky).

March 2016 update fixed this whole issue since it now allow users to publish reports to group workspaces. Kudos to the Power BI dev team! Heart

Regards,

P.

Once you personalize the content pack you should be able to pin the tiles and reports just fine . Not sure why would those be disabled, 

And I agree with you the Collabaration and sharing can be much better in Power BI. 

Collaboration issues and that discussion aside. I feel the need to outline that I don't think this Content Pack from personal workspace approach should be used. The report should have been built in the Desktop so you have a PBIX file that could be pulled into the group. By creating the Content Pack in a personal workspace, the core pieces still belong to only one person. As a result, no one can update the Content Pack model/reports/dashboards unless you are the one to do it. (Or they use your creds...) That is the whole purpose of Groups - so all this doesn't belong to one person. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors