Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

microsoft ssas actrive directory AD group, and role difference

Sorry if I posted it in the wrong group

what is the difference between AD group and a role ?

I have an SSAS tabular model and a role is defined like this

DOMAIN_NAME\XYZ_ABC

So XYZ_ABC is the AD group here ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

in Power BI a role is being used to limit what a user can see:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

For example you can create a role "Sales_US" and everyone who is being assigned to this role can only see the sales from the United States. Another role could be "Sales_UK" and who is being assigned to this role can see the sales from UK.

How do you assign now the roles?

You can either assign to each individual user a role (Johnny gets "Sales_US", Edward gets "Sales_UK", etc.) or you can assign a whole group of people (=AD group) to a role.

For example you company assigns anyway the whole sales team in the US (including Johnny) to the active directory group "AD_Sales_US". Now you can assign the AD group "AD_Sales_US" to the role "Sales_US" and everyone who is in this group gets the correct role. 

Johnny is moving from the sales department in US to UK? He will be transferred by HR or IT to the correct AD group. Then he automatically gets the correct role in Power BI, but also the right access on the network folder as this access can also be managed by AD groups.

Hope that makes sense.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

in Power BI a role is being used to limit what a user can see:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

For example you can create a role "Sales_US" and everyone who is being assigned to this role can only see the sales from the United States. Another role could be "Sales_UK" and who is being assigned to this role can see the sales from UK.

How do you assign now the roles?

You can either assign to each individual user a role (Johnny gets "Sales_US", Edward gets "Sales_UK", etc.) or you can assign a whole group of people (=AD group) to a role.

For example you company assigns anyway the whole sales team in the US (including Johnny) to the active directory group "AD_Sales_US". Now you can assign the AD group "AD_Sales_US" to the role "Sales_US" and everyone who is in this group gets the correct role. 

Johnny is moving from the sales department in US to UK? He will be transferred by HR or IT to the correct AD group. Then he automatically gets the correct role in Power BI, but also the right access on the network folder as this access can also be managed by AD groups.

Hope that makes sense.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors