Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dilkushpatel
Helper III
Helper III

maximum file size for pbix

Hi,

I wanted to understand what is the maximum size for pbix file under Power BI Pro account.

Is it same as normal (250 MB) or higher (2 GB somewhere I read)

Thanks,

Dilkush

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The limit is the same for pro and free users but the total size a user can store in the service is 1 GB for free and 10 GB for Pro so the Pro user can store 10 times the data although each data model cannot be larger than 250 MB

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The 250MB limit is specifically for the data model within a .pbix file. If you look at the .pbix in the file explorer, the total size will be larger than the data model component. You can check the size of the data model as follows:

1. Create a backup copy of your .pbix
  2. Change the name of your .pbix to alter the file extension to zip
    i.e. Sample.pbix -> Sample.zip
  3. Open the .zip archive with the archive / compression tool of your preference
  4. Find the file named 'Datamodel'
  5. Check the size of 'Datamodel' - this is the component that has a 250MB size limit.

@greggyb is this limit same for both pro and free users?

The limit is the same for pro and free users but the total size a user can store in the service is 1 GB for free and 10 GB for Pro so the Pro user can store 10 times the data although each data model cannot be larger than 250 MB

These numbers are for 32 bit. I've been using 64 bit  and I have a HP Z840 with 1TB RAM and I've loaded 100s of gigabytes into the desktop client. I cannot load these into the PowerBI service though.

@residentx The 250mb restriction is for 32 and 64bit and applies to loading a PBIX to the Service. The 1 GB and 10GB relate to how much data you can store in the Service.

As far as I know, there is no restriction on how large a PBIX file can be locally, you just wouldn't be able to publish anything to the Service - as you said.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors