Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

local drive to sharepoint upload automate

Is there a way in power bi that I can pick up an excel file from a local hard drive and upload to sharepoint folder, on a daily basis ?

Basically automating the process so user need not upload the file to sharepoint folder everyday

The power bi report looks at the excel file which is located in the sharepoint folder

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

No, not in Power BI. That is a Power Automate feature. You'd need to have the local network drive added to a gateway, then have Power Automate monitor that folder and upload to sharepoint. For the specifics, you'd need to ask in the Power Automate community. Microsoft Power Automate Community - Power Platform Community

Once it is uploaded, you can add the Refresh Power BI Dataset so as soon as a new file is uploaded, the report refreshes.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent insights everybody, thank you 🙂

Glad to help @Anonymous - if you could mark 1 or more as the solution so this thread can be closed we'd appreciate it!

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Take a look at syncing file and folders from Sharepoint to a local drive. This allows you to have a local folder with files that are regularly synchronised to Sharepoint.

Sync SharePoint files and folders (microsoft.com)

Hope this helps

Stuart

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I think Power Automate might be the more appropriate tool for this sort of thing.

https://powerautomate.microsoft.com/en-us/

edhans
Super User
Super User

No, not in Power BI. That is a Power Automate feature. You'd need to have the local network drive added to a gateway, then have Power Automate monitor that folder and upload to sharepoint. For the specifics, you'd need to ask in the Power Automate community. Microsoft Power Automate Community - Power Platform Community

Once it is uploaded, you can add the Refresh Power BI Dataset so as soon as a new file is uploaded, the report refreshes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors