Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sven2017
Regular Visitor

local PBIX publish to power bi

Hello community,

the hole day i tried to publish and refresh a *.pbix file, created with pbi desktop, to power bi online.

Publishing an showing the data was successful.

But now i've got some questions:

- Is there a way to keep the published file updated? Means i want to change the pbix file stored on a server inhouse.

Will these changes be updated on the published data online?

- I tried that all with the data gateway solution but always the dataset gets no connection for refreshing.

The on-prem gw is always grey and i cannot choose it.

Could yu please help?

regards,

Sven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sven2017
Regular Visitor

Hello together.

Now it is working!

I reinstalled the personal gateway, checked the ports and configured it.

I don't know what the problem was, but i installed the gateway on another server too and got it to work...

Refreshing the dataset works fine an all data is up to date.

Thank you guys!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sven2017
Regular Visitor

Hello together.

Now it is working!

I reinstalled the personal gateway, checked the ports and configured it.

I don't know what the problem was, but i installed the gateway on another server too and got it to work...

Refreshing the dataset works fine an all data is up to date.

Thank you guys!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sven2017,

- Is there a way to keep the published file updated? Means i want to change the pbix file stored on a server inhouse.

Will these changes be updated on the published data online?

In Power BI service, we can set the schedule refresh for the dataset to make sure the data is updated. Depend on the data sources used in the dataset is on-premise or not, we need to consider use on-premise data gateway or on-premise data gateway (personal mode) act as a bridge between the data source and Power BI service.

If we make changes to the pbix file in Power BI desktop, like create a measure, build relationships between tables, etc. We need to republish the pbix file to the Power BI service to get updated.

- I tried that all with the data gateway solution but always the dataset gets no connection for refreshing.

The on-prem gw is always grey and i cannot choose it.

As @GilbertQ suggested, not all the data sources are supported by on-premise data gateway. You need to check data sources in the dataset, compares with List of available data source types

Moreover, you need to check if those data sources really need gateway, you can go through this article to know which data source need gateway: Data refresh in Power BI.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @sven2017

If you want to refresh via the Gateway you must first make sure that you got the Gateway installed and configured.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

Then next you must make sure that where you getting your data from is supported by the Gateway.

If it is then once the Gateway is installed you must configure a data source in Power BI Service and give it a name. That name must be the same name as the data source in your Power BI Desktop file.

Below is an example where I connect to a SharePoint On-Premise file which details all of the steps.

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/05/10/power-bi-configuring-sharepointfolder-refreshing-using-on-premise...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors