Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AstridM
Frequent Visitor

licensing

Good morning. 

I know this question has been asked a bunch of times, but I am really confused.

We have a sql server enterprise. and we understand that we can get the key from there to install the power bi on-premised. 

I have 140 people who need to see reports. 20 out of them need to design reports.

I know for that 20, I will need a pro license to design (I think).

So where do I share my reports so the other 120 can see, them? do i need to publish them in the ssrs server? or do i need to build some kind of sharepoint page?

i am trying also to understand what does it mean to have a power bi on-premises server in general (if I need to share in the report server I mean).

As I said, I am extremelly confused.

Thanks in advance.

Astrid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @AstridM,

If I understand your sceanrio correctly that 20 members of your organization need Pro license to create the reports and share to others in Power BI Service, but you confused about what the license the consumer should have?

Generally, only users with Pro licenses could share and consume the reports shared with you. So for your sceanario, the other 120 members also need the Pro license to view the reports.

However, if you have Premium license and add Premium capacity for that app workspace, only the user share the report need Pro license and the consumer could be Free license.

If your reports is not private, you could share it by Publish to web which is for free license.

If you want to compare the price of Pro license and Premium license, you could refer to this calculation.

i am trying also to understand what does it mean to have a power bi on-premises server in general (if I need to share in the report server I mean).

It seems that you're looking for what is Power BI Report Server. You could have a good view of this document.

For more details about Power BI Report Server, you could get help in Report Server Forum.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @AstridM,

If I understand your sceanrio correctly that 20 members of your organization need Pro license to create the reports and share to others in Power BI Service, but you confused about what the license the consumer should have?

Generally, only users with Pro licenses could share and consume the reports shared with you. So for your sceanario, the other 120 members also need the Pro license to view the reports.

However, if you have Premium license and add Premium capacity for that app workspace, only the user share the report need Pro license and the consumer could be Free license.

If your reports is not private, you could share it by Publish to web which is for free license.

If you want to compare the price of Pro license and Premium license, you could refer to this calculation.

It seems that you're looking for what is Power BI Report Server. You could have a good view of this document.

For more details about Power BI Report Server, you could get help in Report Server Forum.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors