Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nirrobi
Helper V
Helper V

last time refresh

Hi,

Is it possible to add to the report/dashboard the date and time of the last refresh?

Many thanks.

Nir

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi,

Maybe this will solution will help,

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2010/11/add-a-last-refreshed-date-readout/

I will try tommorow and update 🙂

View solution in original post

Hi nir,

You can add a calculated column (Last Refresh Column) in the model with the formula =NOW()

And measure Last Refresh Date :=MAX(Table[Last Refresh Column])

Since calculated columns are calculated only on model refresh - it will make sure the calc is right

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

Ignore my message.

Rajkumar
Helper I
Helper I

Hi ALL,

Add a column to your dataset with the below formula.

Last Refresh Date Time =DateTimeZone.LocalNow()

This will get refresh only,when you click the refresh button. It is working 100% correct. I'm using in my current project PBI Reports.

Rajkumar
Helper I
Helper I

This will get refresh only,when you click the refresh button. It is working 100% correct. I'm using in my current project PBI Reports.

Rajkumar
Helper I
Helper I

Hi All,

Not sure when this feature was added but I just spotted it today

Click on the ... in your dashboard, clcik on the pencil to edit, select display last refresh

Refresh.PNG

I am seeing all these people saying to hover over the tile and click the elipse button... but I do not get the edit or pencil icon when clicking the elipse button when in the dashboard or report.  Is there an IE/Edge configuration I need to uncheck in order to get the edit (pencil) button when clicking the elipse button?

Thanks.

Hi @vkdubw,  I'm not aware of any issue.  My dashboards are not affected by Chrome or Edge.

Are you able to post a screenshot?

I'm not sure if the source of the dashboard is an issue.  Are you getitng your dashboard from a Content Pack or just creating it yourself?

Thanks for the quick response.  Hereare the screenshots from theDashboard (Lst 24 hours) and the Report (Export Only).  I originally created the dashboard with PBI Desktop and published.

No-Elipse.JPGNo-Edit-Option.JPG

No problem @vkdubw,   it looks like your screenshots are from the report view  (I can siee the pin to dashboard icon)

The last time refreshed ellipse is only available in the Dashboard view.  So if you use the pin icon to add the visual to a dashboard then you shold see a different set of options on the elipse when in Dashboard View

Yes, that's what I'm expecting in the Dashboard view, but there I see nothing.  The screenshot from the "Last 24 hours" is the one from the Dashboard view.  When clicking on the box in the Dashboard view, I see nothing, just the faint outline of the tile. I will say the Dashboard and the Report have two different names.  I've seen in other areas there may be issues if things are named differently, could this be the case here though?

thanks.

@vkdubw   That is odd, attached an image of the Dashboard view I'm referring too

Dashboard View.PNG

Yep, that's exactly where I'm at.  I'm going to give it a few days of rest then pick it up again.  Thanks for the confirmation that I'm looking in the correct area.

@vkdubw  what type of graphic is that "Last 24 hours" in the dashboard - is it a standard Card?

ya, that particular one is a text box but it's the same with all the tiles.  Number, Filter, Bar Graph.  the tiles just highlight, nothing shows up in the upper right of the tile.  I was in a meeting and brought this up yesterday and was told this feature was disabled on PowerBI with the latest release.  I haven't been able to find any note or paper mentioning that but am going to look for it today.

thanks again.

@vkdubw,  feature still working for me (in Australia) - I just created a brand new dashboard on a "free" user licence in case it was a pro v free thing, but still works.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Coming to this topic late. But I should note that the time refresh it will say in the dashboard is not the time the data set was last refreshed, just the time the dashboard tile was refreshed which will mislead any user.

HI @Anonymous,

I just refreshed my data set and the dashboard date refreshed has updated as expected.  So I don't seem to have an issue there.

How do you refresh just a dashboard tile?

Thanks

Wyn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I was noticing that you can have the dashboard tiles displaying a recent refresh date even though the data set itself has not been refreshed, so I think it would mislead the user about the data.

You can click on the ... in the top left of your dashboard next to share, and there is an option to refresh the dashboard tiles as well.

Interesting point,  never thought to refresh a dashboard tile independenlty of data refresh.

The whole Dashboard and Report refresh options seem misleading.     Data Refresh should be all that's required IMHO

Wyn,

Nice - I'll second this one.

My experience is that end users only care if the data is current and actionable OR if it is potentially too stale to use. Whether a tile has refreshed or not has no meaningful implication to them - and it does create confustion.

To address this, would it be worth considering this change:

1) "Refresh" should mean "source data last refreshed time".

This data already exists in the admin control panel - so it would seem possible to make it an option to show this in the tile refresh pane. If this change could be implemented, it would lead to the second issue...

2) "Source data last refreshed time" should be in the time zone of the viewer or in hours since last source data refresh.

Right now, PowerBI has an issue of reference time - source data refresh can be "last refreshed at server time" or "last refreshed local PBIX time" - depending on how it is pubished. This leads to end user confusion.  If end user local time to end user is not obtainable - "source data last refreshed" might be better as a clock of hours lapsed since last successful refresh.

Thoughts?

skiwi

You can show this on a tile in a dashboard by clicking the ... on the top right hand corner of the tile, then click the edit pencil, then check the "Display last refresh time".  The refresh time will now show at the top of the tile

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors