Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Franklin1
Advocate I
Advocate I

invalid query locator - salesforce

Hey all,

I have a report created on PBI Desktop with data from Salesforce.

The report was created and published to power bi service months ago.

Everything worked perfectly - the report is refreshed as scheduled.

Everything is in the cloud, hence I don't need no Gateway.

Suddenly, in the last few weeks the schedule refresh is not working and the error message I receive is "invalid query locator Table:XXX".

The name of the table (XXX) is not defined, and each time it is a different table.

I have read in salesforce documents a lot about the query locator.

What i don't understaand is how it happens all of a sudden, and what is the workaround i can do in Power BI to overcome this issue.

Please assist.

Thanks a lot!

17 REPLIES 17
akfir
Helper V
Helper V

is there a solution with this already? so frustrating....

Jitmondo
Helper III
Helper III

Hi All, did any one ever find a solution to this issue ?

kdlong
Frequent Visitor

Hi All, 

I have provided some thoughts in this post which is the same error: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Receiving-intermittent-quot-invalid-query-locator-quot-...

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Ivan.. This solved my issue enableling the queries from uploading.  I had merged and appended tables together and received this issue "Invalid Query Locator" right after. Like many of you i was able to refresh on the PBI desktop, but failed online.  This resolved the the Invaild Query locator issue.

Thanks Again😀

ivan_larson_cki
Helper III
Helper III

I recently discovered a trick that fixed the issue for our worst-performing dataset.

We had some queries that weren't being used for visualizations, but were only pulled to merge or append into other queries. In the Query Editor, I de-selected "Enable Load". As such, the data for these queries is still added where needed, but the queries don't need to be loaded themselves. A dataset that would never refresh has so far succeeded in about one third of its refreshes after this update.

De-Select Enable Load.png

omillzy
Helper III
Helper III

Getting the same issue for larger reports, sometimes just refreshing the desktop file + republishing works, other times I just have to wait. Really hope someone finds a solution to this one

epresson
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone come up with a solution? I'm also having this issue. I have a report with 8 salesforce objects and it is not able to refresh via PBI service. 

ivan_larson_cki
Helper III
Helper III

I've had this problem frequently, and it seems to be a matter of the file being strained in how much it can import. File size doesn't strongly correlate with the problem as I have files of 18 MB that refresh just fine and files of only 9 MB that can't refresh automatically. But once I'm importing from ~6 or more Salesforce objects into a dataset, I'll start getting "Invalid Query Locator" errors sometimes when refreshing. Sometimes, these errors arise infrequently enough that reports will still continue to refresh most times. But once I use 8 or more Salesforce objects in one dataset, there's almost no chance that the report will ever refresh in the PBI service. I have end users who need to see information stored across this many objects for various projects, and we need a solution for this problem.

melrous
Frequent Visitor

same issue! any idea?

Franklin1
Advocate I
Advocate I

Anyone???

I am having the same issue.  Cannot get my queries to Salesforce to refresh on schedule in PBI Service.  Works fine when I refresh from PBI Desktop.

Help!

tmfitz
Frequent Visitor

Me too!  Been trying to work with PBI support for weeks now.  Have time schedule for today.  Will come back and update you. So frustrating. Smiley Sad

Did you have any luck with support?  I'm having the same issue.  Even more strange is that the ever changing table that pops the invalid query locator refresh error doesn't have Salesforce as a source.  The table source is a reference to a base table.  Only the base tables queries Salesforce.  How can a table that doesn't query Salesforce cause a Salesforce error?   Something isn't adding up.  

Refreshing from desktop and republishing works in getting updated data to PBI Service.  However immediately after publishing I get a yellow triangle error in PBI Service beside my dataset that says my refresh failed despite the last refresh date being only moments prior.  

I have been having the same issue. Same error message as you. Also only using Salesforce sources, so not Gateway involved. Super frustrating.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Franklin1,

Please check whether table name "XXX" is an existing name in source dataset. Or whether it has been changed.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Yuliana,

It is an existing name.

It is all worked well up until a few weeks ago.

Any other idea?

Thanks.

Franklin1
Advocate I
Advocate I

No one?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors