Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gregboothdelt
Helper I
Helper I

internet connectivity for gateway server

We are installing an on-premise data gateway on a new server on our main domain.

This will need 

1) access to the internet  - as per  - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-communication

for example to talk to the Azure Service bus.

i.e. all the FQDN's and ports that the gateway needs to access.

2) access to a Redshift server in Amazon Web Services ( access to this needs to come via the gateway server for security reasons ) 

- i.e. also on the internet.

So - the gateway server needs access to the internet to access various resources. We can see that its possible to make the gateway use our proxy server to access the internet - as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-proxy 

So we have choices - the gateway could either

a) have rules in the firewall to communicate with resources on the internet

OR

b) use the proxy to communicate with resources on the internet

The question is:

Can we use a mixture of allowing the gateway to use the proxy (to access some internet resouces) AND allow the gateway to access other resources  by going out directly via the firewall ?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @gregboothdelt ,

If I understand your question correctly, it is about using the Gateway to access different resources differently.  If so, then my answer is "yes, you can do both".  This is assuming that you are using different Data Sources setup in the Gateway.  In teh Gateway, you can have some sources using a specific port number or path and some of the other sources differently.  The Gateway is the service on your server and the Data Source is the "how" you are getting to the data.  I guess the worst case scenario would be having two gateways installed if using the Data Sources doesn't resolve your issue but I don't think you have to do that.

This article should be helpful:

Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors