Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sapirmarko
Helper I
Helper I

incrementel refresh- can't refresh

hi all!

I have a problem with the refresh,
I use pro licenses and I use an incremental refresh- because I got to the gateway limit
when I want to change my data set ( add another column etc.) I upload a new version from the desktop and it refreshes all the data ( and when I upload a new version I don't see any data for all my reports until it's finishing the refresh).
the last time I got a timeout error because it took more than 2 hours.
there is a way t publish the dataset and keep all the data that exist? ( not do a refresh and take all the data from start)
thanks

sapirmarko_2-1659881793827.png

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @sapirmarko ,

the answer to you your question unfortunately is simple - no you can't!

Adding a column to a table with partitions (partitions are created by the incremental refresh) invalidates existing partitions. After adding a column an "initial" load has to be performed.

The only way I can think of is to create a view inside your data source (of course this requires a data source that is supporting views), instead of accessing the table use the view, then you can adapt the view step by step until all the data has been loaded after a schema change.

Hopefully, this provides an idea on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors