Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

incremental refresh goes for full refresh during Pbix change

Hi,

We are using Power BI - Pro version. Currently it is full refresh method. The full refresh is always working fine from Power BI Desktop but some times it gives time out error from Power BI service. Due to these challenges, we are moving to Incremental refresh method.

Now I am facing some issues and looking some help for the below points. Could you please help?

1) The first time increment refresh from service is taking more time than full load and getting time out after 2 hours. Hence we are unable to finish the first time refresh in the incremental method at all. Is there any alternatives?

2) Even after the incremental refresh policy applied, during any PBIX file change and publish back to service , will that go for full historical data refresh again?

3) Does Power-BI Pro supports meta data only deplyment?

Regards

Jasmin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Have you had a look at changing the timeout if your source is a SQL Server source?

https://www.fourmoo.com/2020/02/26/ensuring-your-power-bi-incremental-refresh-does-not-timeout-when-...

With regards to question 2:
It will always do the full refresh in the Power BI Service, because it has to create the underlying partitions.

Question 3: Currently this is only supported in Power BI Premium

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Have you had a look at changing the timeout if your source is a SQL Server source?

https://www.fourmoo.com/2020/02/26/ensuring-your-power-bi-incremental-refresh-does-not-timeout-when-...

With regards to question 2:
It will always do the full refresh in the Power BI Service, because it has to create the underlying partitions.

Question 3: Currently this is only supported in Power BI Premium

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks much for your response !

for Q1: We have tried this option . Looks like this resolve the time out issues at the database side. However my issue is on the Power BI scheduled refresh as it is Pro version, it will get time out after 2 hours !

For Q2: My PBIX file goes for frequent changes. At least twice in a week we have to publish the modified pbix in to service . In this scenario , is it advisable for full refresh instead of Incremental? Any suggestions?

Hi there

That might work in overriding the timeout issue.

Q2, if you make updates and have to update the PBIX and it is only visual elements you might be better of changing it in the Power BI Service.

If you re-upload a PBIX it has to re-create the Incremental refresh partitions each and every time.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors