Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

matgrisham
Frequent Visitor

inconsistent visual interaction behavior

The visual interactions change to whatever they want to be after saving the report and either refreshing the browser or return to the report at a later time. This is causing unpredictable report behavior which is not acceptable for end users of these reports. The issue is the same as this "solved" (but not really solved) issue posted here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/visual-interactions-reset-after-in-browser-editing/m-p/4590...

Specifically, I have built a report on the Power BI service that connects to an on-premise SSAS tabular model. I have data in a matrix on the left hand side of the report that summarizes sales by brand. On the right, I have a pie chart that show year to date sales by brand and a line chart that shows sales by period. I want to be to click on a single brand in the pie chart to filter the line chart but not filter the matrix. When I save the visual interactions to do this, everything works fine, but when I eventually return to the report, the interactions will be totally different. The matrix will filter and the line chart won't or some variation. It's very frustrating.

7 REPLIES 7
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@matgrisham

In Power BI, the selection of interaction will not be saved by visual, which means if you select one brand and its corresponding bar/column is highlighted, this selection will not be kept at next time you view this report (after refreshing browser or returning to this report). It always shows all data.

I haven't reproduced your issue that matrix will filter. Please click the "visual interaction" and check if the "disable filter" button is selected. It supposes to work after you save the report if you disable filtering.

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

Regards,

Simon Hou

@v-sihou-msft

That's not the behavior I was trying to descibe. The issue is that I will edit the report, set the interactions between visualizaions using the "visual interaction" button, and then when I return to the report at a later date, the interactions are different from what I set them to be.

@matgrisham @v-sihou-msft I experience the same strange behavior.

When I build a report in the service and define the visual interactions between visuals and hit save, then the visual interactions are saved only sometimes and can change randomly.

Mainly this happens for reports built in the service, but also for reports built in PowerBi desktop and then uploaded, some visual interactions are not saved/change randomly.

Another (maybe related) bug is that when I rename a report page in the service after duplicating a page, another page is renamed to the same name, too. Very strange!

Please investigate and fix. Report pages with changing visual interactions can not be used properly!

Hi

I am experiencing a similar issue. I have a trend graph which is not connected to the date filter so that all dates can be shown. I have experienced no issues in Desktop, however, in the Service, at random times, the trend graph shows only one data point (it does display an info error "Chart Data contains not a number (NaN) values" - I can then edit the interactions and remove the 'filter' interaction on the graph and it works but all other interactions change as well i.e. filters change to slicers. After fixing them on that page, the problem reappears on other pages in the report (same trend graph) that previously worked ...

Possibly something I'm doing wrong ... any input appreciated

Thanks

Doug

@v-sihou-msft @matgrisham @DougM According to the Microsoft support, a fix for this issue was released on 14th of December 2016. Could you check if this problem has ben resolved for you?

Thanks ... Seems to be working fine again.

Much appreciated

Doug

Hey, made a video about the second issue:

This was done in the service (NOT PowerBI desktop)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors