Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DaanPa
Frequent Visitor

implementation pipeline and shared datasets

I have a workspace(Called W1) for datasets and a workspace for reports (W2). The PBIX from the report is based on a power BI dataset (from W1)

ive set up a implementation pipeline for W1, which works great. DEV and TEST are connected to a synapse acc dwh, PROD is connected to a synapse prod dwh. This way i can test changes to my datasets before there are sent to PROD

I've also set up a implementation pipeline for W2. i want to test my reports as well. 

however, my reports are connected to the power bi dataset that resides on the W2 PROD. with implementation pipeline there is no way to change the datasource via an datasetrule. because there is no dataset on W2.... parameters arent available as wel. So i can test changes made to the graphs and such. But there is no way to test my report if i change something on the dataset.

Any advice on how to fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@DaanPa 

It is because when you implement pipeline to W2, the duplicated stages in the W2(pipeline) dose not maintain the relationship with the W1 and W1 stages. I would suggest to to put the datasets and reports in the same workspace and create a pipeline for it.

You could also post any ideas in the Ideas forum to help us to improve the pipeline feature.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi,

you scenario is definitely a valid one.

since we don't automatically moves connection of datasets and reports when they are managed across pipelines, my suggestion right now is to keep a copy of the reports in the dev & test stages in the same pipeline of the datasets, just for testing sake.

then, when your changes reach Prod, you already tested it for the reports.

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@DaanPa 

It is because when you implement pipeline to W2, the duplicated stages in the W2(pipeline) dose not maintain the relationship with the W1 and W1 stages. I would suggest to to put the datasets and reports in the same workspace and create a pipeline for it.

You could also post any ideas in the Ideas forum to help us to improve the pipeline feature.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors