Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

erickulcyk
Employee
Employee

hyperlinks in table

Hello,

Is there a way I can post hyperlinks in a database, and have them show up in a table and be clickable in powerbi?

Thanks,

Eric

19 REPLIES 19
mhernandez77
Frequent Visitor

My matrix table is also showing a hyperlink on the totals and adding a "First' label to my column header. is there a way to remove the url for totals? the url connects to a single contact record on crm. what is happening here is that for 'Girls' category it is pulling the url for the first person in that category and sticking it in my crm record details. I want to show a blank instead. I only want to show a url where youth is 1. Thanks in advance for the help.

PBI Q.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello is it possible to add hyperlink on any row inside the table column. Example on items price or name of the company in the list.

@Anonymous 

I copied this from the article on hyperlinks in tables. 

Q: Can I use a custom URL as a hyperlink in a table or matrix?
A: No. You can use a link icon. If you need custom text for your hyperlinks and your list of URLs is short, consider using a text box instead.

So, for now, the answer is no.  But I searched ideas.powerbi.com and saw a few other people with this same request.  Add your vote to get the product groups attention 🙂

skaratela
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

Does anyone know why the 'Properties' section onder the Modelling tab is greyed out? As this is greyed out I cannot set my column as URL type.  I have imported the data into PowerBI as opposed to DirectQuery.

Cheers

mihart
Employee
Employee

Yes, but is there a way to do like <a href="http://www.website.com">click here</a>. The problem with the hyperlinks is that they can be very, very long and we don't want to show the whole query. Thanks!

If you've already set a column with links and you don't want to show the entire link on each row of the table or matrix then you can simply follow the steps to convert a link into a link icon, provided that you have dragged the links column in the Values box of Fields icon in the Visualizations pane 

1.  Select the table tile

2. Click on the Paint Roller icon   of the Format tab of Visualizations pane on the right hand of the Power BI window

3. Expand the Values section and enable the URL icon      - this will show an icon instead of the entire URL

If you've already set a column with links and you don't want to show the entire link on each row of the table or matrix then you can simply follow the steps to convert a link into a link icon, provided that you have dragged the links column in the Values box of Fields icon in the Visualizations pane 

1.  Select the table tile

2. Click on the Paint Roller icon of the Format tab of Visualizations pane on the right hand of the Power BI window

3. Expand the Values section and enable the URL icon      - this will show an icon instead of the entire URL

Did you ever get an answer this by any chance? I would also like to use hyperlinks but some of the URL's are 60 characters or more. Not great on a dashboard!

Thanks

I finally found the solution -- select the "URL Icon option" under the "Values" section on the grid "Format" tab.  This displays the URL as a "chain link" icon instead of the full URL.

@muneern

I'm going to have to try that out.  Everyone I asked told me it couldn't be done yet. Thanks!

@mihart

Here's the proof:

Power BI Extract.png

Smiley Tongue

Did you ever get an answer this by any chance? I would also like to use hyperlinks but some of the URL's are 60 characters or more. Not great on a dashboard!

Thanks

Alex_J_Potter

You just need to cast the data type for the URL in your data model - its super quick. 

1. Navigate to the data model tab in Power BI Desktop
  2. Select the column that contains the URLs
  3. Under "Data Category" in the Modeling tab, select "Web URL"

After that, the URLs should show up blue and clickable in any table you place them in.

This is grayed out for SSAS Multidimensional.  Could super use this.

Nice! @Alex_J_Potter I didn't know this was here. Pinging @erickulcyk so he gets visibility on the answer.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

This URL is no logner valid

Is it possible to make a hyperlink without showing the URL?

I mean here instead of "http://community.powerbi.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/power-bi-web-app/message-id/3638"

The only hyperlink functionality that I'm aware of resides in the text box. Fields in the table or matrix are not selectable in any state, so it's hard to see at the moment how there would be any work around for this right now..

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors